Thursday, December 27, 2012

Re: [papercreters] Dome Roof



start at the bottom :)

I use triangular bricks the size of the dome frame triangles. I would forget that shaky scaffold, climb the dome frame. You can climb each ring of triangles as it is completed, and add the next ring on top. You can also use a ladder leaned against the frame. Scaffolds are straight up, and domes are not, so the gap between the platform and the frame gets wide pretty quickly.

This link is an example, a dome that someone bought, used a few years, and then brought back when he sold his house. It was a great deal for me, and he was satisfied that he got his money's worth of use.
http://starship-enterprises.net/Paperdome/

After this dome came back home, I put it together again and am presently sitting in it as I type this. I added a clerestory and a hydronic floor. I used a spray washer for part of it, and a no-tow mixer for the majority. I got the 1' thick outer coat up about seven feet, or halfway up the dome, and never finished. Meanwhile I've gotten distracted into the earthship/dome so it may be a few more years before I finally get this one coated to the top. In my mild climate it rarely gets down to the single digits and the 3-4" of pc in the panels is doing fine for keeping me warm until I eventually finish it and save more on heat. Down on the coast your weather should be even milder.
http://starship-enterprises.net/spraywasher/Index.html


spaceman

On 12/27/2012 5:55 PM, ifilmswest wrote:
  Did someone mention dome roof?  Thinking of building a dome near     Texas gulf coast instead of traditional house.  Hoping it will     survive the occasional hurricane winds...however to really jump off a     cliff here...thinking of using bricks of papercrete for exterior.         Now the million dollar question (Those who know me saw this     coming!).  How would one brave soul, teetering on home built     scaffolding attach said bricks?  As always the generosity of the     folks in this group far exceeds the appreciation they deserve, so     thanx a million in advance.  The idea of using a power washer was     brilliant (pics just posted) now after making a house full of bricks     I'm thinking of having it bronzed, or at least write a song about it.        



__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___