Tuesday, December 4, 2012

[papercreters] Jay: Re: flour

Had forgotten that using boiling water makes a stronger glue from flour and water. Was just remembering how we used to make paste in elementary school from flour and water.

RE: Insects. Was expecting and hoping -- and it seems to be the case so far -- that the added borax would discourage pests. Haven't seen any signs of insects -- or rodents for that matter -- trying the the unsatisfactory test papercrete squares I made with this.

Do recall now, as I write this, that we were advised in school to add salt to the mix to keep pasted items from molding. Wonder if that really works?

Was hoping the flour paste would help bind together my clay and papercrete mix. Still think the problem I had with that mix was that I used too much clay.


Aside: Since just pulped paper alone (and with borax added) makes such satisfactory and lightweight blocks, think I will experiment -- when I get back to this -- with how much borax must added to a 5 gallon mix to end up with papercrete that will not burn and will not smoulder until it reduces the block to ash. When I get around to that, I'll report my results here.



------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/