Monday, December 3, 2012

[papercreters] Re: Papercrete in the cold North?

Hi Alan,
You probably have a bit more moist environment than that in Montana, but I did just that. In 2008 I started a shed 8'X16' to house a three wheeler and trailer. I was only able to work on it summers and so it sat through the winter. I did cover it for some of the time but nothing fancy, a blue tarp that never made it through the winter.

My mix was not what you mentioned, rather it was 1:2 portland to paper. I was adding sand at the beginning but soon was using just paper and portland. I never got it done because of other pressing matters. In December 2011 I had to remove it from where it was because I had put it right in the path where an 18 wheeler needed to go around one of my buildings. So it sat in the elements for 4 years and was perfectly fine when I tore it apart. I saved all that I had done because I am planning a "real" building which will have 12" thick walls. I'll be able to bury all the pieces I salvaged from my initial attempt in the walls of the new structure because the shed only had 8" walls.

Personally, I don't think you'll be wasting your time.
Ron



--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, Alan <rustaholic777@...> wrote:
>
> Next question
>  
> Is there anyone here that has done a straight equal amount of paper and Portland in water and built anything to set outside here in the cold sometimes very wet North?
>  
> I would love to know that if I build the tow mixer and put up a papercrete shed it will last a good while.  It would be a real waste to make the tow mixer just to do some samples that fail.
> If none of you can assure me it will work I do suppose I could do a five gallon bucket test and make a block to set outside for a year or so.
> I have one of those drill powered "paint" stirrers to mix up Quick Crete in five gallon buckets if only I can find it now.
>  
> Alan in Northern Lower Michigan
>
>  
>




------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/