Tuesday, September 30, 2008

RE: [papercreters] Re: Microscopic examination

Thanks Ernie,

I guess it’s a little of both, mainly because of the amount of water used which is way more than needed for a reaction. But enough to carry cement particles throughout the slurry.  I must at some point examine some samples with a microscope.

Has anyone done comparisons in strength to mixes using clay rather than OPC CEMENT by weight?

If particle saturation rather than binding is the answer then I suspect clay would show similar properties to cement.

If the cement and sand particles are glued together in a normal cement sand reaction and reinforced by paper fibers then it seems the cement sand additive would be stronger than clay and sand.

Bobs recipes include sand cement, clay, and lime.  These all aid in reacting with each other.  I would like to see test results comparing a similar mix without the cement replaced by more clay.  If there are tests along this line I may be spared more delays.  There are some test results for paper adobe I found that show slightly less strength than that with cement, but I couldn’t locate the clay quantities in the paper adobe.  What I did find is that it appears the cement isn’t particularly necessary to create a structural material though there was more shrinkage with clay.  It may be possible that this can be overcome with less water in the mix.  If there are more tests along this line please direct me to the location they are recorded.

My apologies if this has already been discussed.  I have been very distracted over the past year.

Thank you,

Janosh

I don't think anyone on the list has a definitive answer that has been
independently validated. Some folks think (and I lean this way) that
at "normal" papercrete rations (10-50% cement) the cement permeates
the paper and bonds with it and any other aggregates to form a matrix
that takes some properties from both wood and concrete, varied by the
exact percentages and additives used.

Wood pulp (an by extension paper) will form matrices on it's own, if
allowed to. Compression can enhance this effect. These properties can
be seen in many commercial products such as particle board, OSB, etc.
In papercrete we are merely using cement as the binder instead of
epoxy or other alternatives. That is why slurryguy and other say the
product performs more like wood than concrete.

> It seems that the percentage of cement used would govern the answer.
> My next question is where are the mix formulas in relation to the
> answer.

Since I am not even sure I aswered the first questions to your
satisfaction I am not even going to attempt the next. heh.


__._,_.___

Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___