Friday, August 15, 2008

Re: [papercreters]insanity -was- slipforming -was- Re: New to the group *O.T. but important*

I did some slipforming seven years ago when I was first starting my big dome. I slipformed a few areas at ground level but had not yet worked out how to slipform a dome top, and ended up using other methods. Last year when I started working on the smaller dome that I have mentioned here, I decided to slipform the whole thing at least 12" thick. I got about 2/3 of the way around the bottom and up three feet before I broke my no-tow mixer and then other things came up that kept me busy until a couple of months ago. Instead of fixing the big mixer I opted to buy a power spray washer and use Curtis's mixing methods. Now I'm waiting for the 100+ temperatures to go away and I'll be back to work on the dome.

I like slipforming. The way I'm doing the small dome is with a one sided mold attached to the pc panels on the dome. I've been using a 4'x4' piece of 1/4" plywood that has a 1"x2" frame and center braces, and 2"x12"x4' end. The end is adjustable so that when I finish the molly I can follow the contours of the dome. The 12" layer that I am putting on is added to the 3" thick panels for a 15" total thickness. The hydronic slab inside should keep it very comfortable without too much energy input.

The only issue I have had (other than making sure the mold is strong enough and well secured) is if I let a section dry out too much before adding the next pour. There is no problem with the layer below but sometimes you can get a vertical seam between adjacent sections. This seam can be filled with packed papercrete but it is hard to get an airtight seal.

Spaceman

JUDITH WILLIAMS wrote:

While we're on the subject of slipforming; has anyone had a great deal of success with it and would you be willing to share some tips with us? I have done a limited amount (just sort of figured it out to use metal roof flashing to make a curved form for a very short section of wall) but now I am considering using it as the primary method for my next project. I have watched Mike McCain's video, which is helpful, but I guess I want the magic bullet. Anyone?

Sincerely, Judith
Visit my papercrete website at www.judith-l-williams.com.

When I gave up trying to understand,
said the Camel's Eye to the Needle,
then I began to get the point.
                                             James Broughton


__._,_.___

Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___