Wednesday, May 14, 2008

RE: [papercreters] styrofoam??

Hey guys

 

I am a lurker.  I find the volume of emails to be overwhelming mostly and read only the ones that catch my eye.  This one did and so here are my 2 cents worth.

 

I agree with Nick.  The middle would be the best place for solid pieces.  They do need protection from the elements and vermin.  I would go with a double overlapping layered system so as to take advantage of the foam to form the wall.  Fishing twine on the end of a coat hanger could serve as a sewing needle to join the two layers.  Kind of like the sewing needles used in strawbale but smaller. 

 

As to styrofoam and paper.  I have tried this.  I ground up the foam along with the paper and some ashes (ashes contain lye-bad for bugs and when dry are pretty good for insulation).  I used no concrete or lime and poured into bricks that I then dried.  No real science to the portions.  I found that if there was too much foam, the bricks became brittle.  Paper by itself, even without the portland, makes a pretty hard brick that could be used in place of styrofoam or fibreglass.  It does shrink a fair bit and the foam helps it keep its shape better.  I tried some with concrete and sand and these definitely work to help the brick keep its shape and texture.

Victor @
The Stoneybog

--- On Wed, 5/14/08, Nick Boersema <picknick@sympatico.ca> wrote:

From: Nick Boersema <picknick@sympatico.ca>
Subject: RE: [papercreters] styrofoam??
To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
Date: Wednesday, May 14, 2008, 1:07 PM

The white pearl type foam will take on moisture over time if left exposed and it is also far too fragile to be left on the outside with out some type of protection.  I think the centre would be better as long as there is something holding the two outsides together.  Strips of plastic or wood through the wall to tie the two together.

 

Nick

 


From: papercreters@ yahoogroups. com [mailto: papercreters@ yahoogroups. com ] On Behalf Of Michael traster
Sent: Wednesday, May 14, 2008 12:49 PM
To: papercreters@ yahoogroups. com
Subject: Re: [papercreters] styrofoam??

 

middle should work, and the outside also works great... according to a builder who I spoke with recently.. it keeeps the ground temp from drawing heat through the block

solar4@juno. com wrote:


Hello All!
I have an almost endless supply of free 4'x4'x2" sheets
of white styrofoam...
Would it be best to grind it up with the papercrete
or just leave it solid and put in the middle of my
cast walls?

Thanks

Stan



 


__._,_.___

Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___