Sunday, May 25, 2008

[papercreters] Possible pc in WV

Dear fellow papercrete enthusiasts

I confess to unannounced review of exchanges over the past several
months. I?m certainly impressed with the levels of experience and
willingness to share. It seems an introduction may be appropriate.
I?m a doubly untrustworthy [remember not trusting those over 30]
biogas propagator/enthusiast and ostensible steward for several acres
and an abode on a forested hillside in very rural central West Virginia.

I am also a NEWBE, i.e. Never Ever Wiped up a Batch of papercretE ?
nor seen or touched any neither nun. However, I was quite taken with
the possibilities when I first learned of papercrete, and bought the
movie and older information. I have been saving paper for about a
decade. I apologize any lack of proper jargon in the following.

To begin with papercrete, I find I first need a mixer. For the hills
of WV, and in discussion with my metal-working and motor guru, we have
decided that a stand-alone, trailer-based, gas-powered unit might be
most appropriate. We currently have the trailer, a 500-gallon, a
flat-bottomed plastic tank and a 4-cycle, 4hp Tacomsa motor which
should do about 1000 rpms. I like the idea of including a few old
circular saw blade on the shaft. I wonder if this will do the job?

The plan is to construct framing for the motor, shaft and blades so
that it will sit above the tank during mixing and may be remove for
emptying and cleaning. There will be a bushing installed in the
bottom of the tank which will accept the bottom of the stirring shaft.
The plan is also to have a 2? or 3? valve on the bottom of the tank
and a 2? or 3? trash pump which can sit on the trailer for traveling.
I recently read here that trash pumps don?t hold up with papercrete.
Any other suggestions?

While others will use the mixer for various projects later on, my
specific application will be for radiant floors. My nearly all wooden
abode sits primarily upon sandstone and block pillars. While I have
?free gas? due to two wells on the property, winter temperatures in
the first floor can sometimes vary by more than 30 degrees from floor
to ceiling. Heating first floor floors should keep the whole house
much more comfortable.

My plan is to cover the wooden subfloors with landscaping fabric and
then set the heating pipes in the top of about 3? of papercrete. This
will then be covered with foot-square ceramic tiles for heat transfer.
I wonder if the papercrete will hold up in this application or do I
need to add a 1? layer of concrete and set the heating pipes in that?

I thank you in advance for your time and consideration. Bob Hamburg

p.s. If interested in seeing the site of my application, you can
visit www.spectrumz.com/villa.

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/