Friday, March 14, 2008

Re: [papercreters] Re: ink issues?

I'm fairly new to papercrete and can use all of the information available.
I have a long term project that I am considering at my new place. I want to be enviromentally friendly in building and by keeping my utility costs down to a minimum in my new place. I need it to be regular sized, but am considering all methods of construction at this point. My concern with papercrete so far is based on my location. I now live about 40 miles north of Houston, TX on 5 acres. I have a small pond (will be raising catfish and talapia) and raise sheep and rabbits with a guard donkey.We are planning on a decent sized greenhouse for veggies and have well water.
There is a fair amount of humidity here, so construction materials are up in the air at this point. I appreciate the differing oppinions because it helps me to understand the advantages and disadvantages to each material used.

Ernie Phelps <eepjr24@gmail.com> wrote:
--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "John Annesley" <John@...> wrote:
>
> Ben, not that I'm truly concerned about the health aspects of ink
> or cement in papercrete, I thought for accuracy I would reply to
> your post by quoting the Printer's National Fact Sheet found at:
> http://www.pneac.org/sheets/litho/inks.cfm

Unfortunately, that reference is 12 years old. About 10 years ago, the
US government implemented much stricter regulation on inks that
contained heavy metals. Between that and the increasing cost
effectiveness of soy ink, many newpapers switched. You will still find
some in small volume papers and in non-newsprint publications
(magazines, advertisements, etc). Several studies have been done on the
non-toxic nature of these inks and the newpaper itself.

According to http://www.graphicartsonline.com/article/CA446851.html, as
of 2004 about 95% of the daily newpaper circulars in the US used Soy
ink. You can check with your local source if you are concerned.

Note that I think there is still probably some risk of the ink leeching
into soil from papercrete. But given that if I was not using it, it
would be in the landfill I don't really see this as a big down side.

- Ernie



Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. __._,_.___

Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___