Tuesday, March 11, 2008

[papercreters] Re: Burlap-Crete photos.

Hi Connie,
Well in kind, let me repeat my already given answer, copied and pasted
from my last response to you-

"How am I going to insulate my yurt shaped thingy? That's still
debatable as I like a lot of other folks on here like dense papercrete
and paperadobe because its inflammable. (I've built an oven out of the
stuff and it doesn't even char the surface after hours and hours of
burning scrap wood in it.) However, that stuff isn't very insulative.
I don't like the idea of insulation that smolders, or walls that
smolder but don't burn. I live in an area without a fire district,
meaning no fire department. I acknowledge the sentiment of many folks
on here who say they'd prefer to live in a house that smolders and
gives ample warning so you can get out with your life and remove your
valuables, or even break apart the offending sections of wall and
fight the smoldering fire, rather than in a home that burns down
around you before you can get out. Personally, I'd rather live in
neither. I like the idea of perlite because its light weight and
doesn't burn or mold, but I don't know that it would be a good admix
with papercrete to make the paper less apt to smolder because unlike
cement or clay, perlite isn't going to infiltrate the pores of the
paper. Perlite instead of paper might work well, but six cubic feet of
perlite is still about twenty bucks where I live, I'm not sure if I
can get it by the truckload which would definitely be cheaper. I'm
thinking of perhaps slipforming several inches of perlite, adobe soil
and a little lime, but this could be costly unless I can find a bulk
source for perlite. Then, because I'm a glutton for punishment, I
intend to erect a thermal mass wall inside of the insulating layer:
probably sandbags filled with tamped adobe. I'm also looking into the
various Jack Bays Rub-R-Slate mixes- he started building with pulped
paper, clay soil and asphalt emulsion back in the 30's. I was
intrigued to see that the EPA considers asphalt emulsion non-toxic and
it waterproofs papercrete and paperadobe. He made floors, walls, and
roofs with the stuff in various mixes and proportions, often adding
sand for compressive strength."


--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "Robert & Connie" <losee04@...>
wrote:
>
> So, to repeat my previous question, John, how do you plan to insulate
> the structure? What are you going to use inside the burlap structure
> to make the walls energy efficient on your present structure?
>
> If you were going to build a dome with the four layers of burlap,
> would you do the same thing to insulate the walls or would you do
> something different since the shape of a dome sometimes makes using
> standard house insulation more challenging?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Connie
>
> --- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "Nick Boersema" <picknick@>
> wrote:
> >
> >
> >
> > My concern with building a metal framed structure and coating it in
> wire,
> > was to find a way
> > to trap the wire as part of a structural matrix with the coating.
> With
> > burlap draped over the
> > wire with PC blown onto the burlap, the PC might stick to the
> burlap, but to
> > get the burlap
> > then to adhere to the wire seems to me would require a mechanical
> bond like
> > hog rings
> > every several inches or something. Same with the carpet. I was
> trying to
> > emulate
> > ferrocement using fiber instead of steel, and quickening the pace
> of the
> > process by being
> > able to dip the fiber (burlap) into a slurry and drape it over an
> armature
> > instead of
> > meticulously suture expanded metal lath onto the wire armature. The
> fact
> > that the slurry
> > sets up rock hard inside of half an hour also advances the pace of
> the
> > process, as night
> > temps are still often below freezing and I didn't want to wait
> until later
> > in the year to get
> > going on the project: freezing while setting up can often ruin
> cement based
> > curing
> > processes.
> >
> > John what about using your burlcrete as the shell. Then spraying
> successive
> > layers of papercrete with borax and lime (relatively light high R
> value).
> > Once you have your R value gradually switch your mix to a heavier
> mass
> > oriented recipe and continue to spray layers or slipform which ever
> you find
> > easiest. If your light papercrete is sandwiched between a hard
> sealed outer
> > shell and a heavy almost adobe inner shell how can it smolder much
> less
> > ignite?
> >
> > Nick
> >
>



Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/