Friday, March 14, 2008

RE: [papercreters] "Papercrete Kills"

John I’m not sure how this took on such a personal nature I certainly did not mean it as a personal attack.  I am not suggesting there is no place for EA I just would avoid it if I could and I would not use it in an interior situation at all.  The off gassing of these hydrocarbons is more and more being linked to liver and kidney issues in men and menstrual and gestation issues in women.  Yes Portland has its problems not the least of which is the oligarchy of companies who control its production world wide.  But as for immediate health effects they are mostly in the powdered form and one can protect one self from them by wearing proper personal protection. Both products have environmental impacts and we each need to evaluate them as best we can.  I choose to take a longer term view in that the CO2 generated in the production of cement over the life of the products practical use vs the CO2 generated with most hydrocarbons is relatively similar in that the hydrocarbons get spent much more quickly so cumulatively if you are a regular user of hydrocarbons vs cement you will be contributing as much or more with the hydrocarbon product. On the other hand lime is a slight improvement over cement in that it creates less CO2 when manufactured and over the life of the product it reabsorbs a significant amount of CO2.  The clay I dig up on my site and use is an even better situation and I hope to utilize as much clay as possible.

 

This is just my opinion and my situation others may need to use more or less cement I don’t sit in judgment over anyone I just try to share information for the benefit of all who want to use it.

 

Nick

__._,_.___

Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___