Thursday, December 2, 2010

Re: [papercreters] Roofing



My roof is papercrete. It's unsealed. Dome #1 has been sitting there for over eight years and the only deterioration has been the parts that were just paper with no cement. #2 has been in the weather for a couple of years now except the top pent clerestory that I did this summer, hand packed to make a hard shell, the splat and pat method.  It has only rained a couple of times since then so it hasn't really been tested but I expect that it will outperform #1 which was mostly sprayed on and not packed.  #3 might end up different. I'm still putting on poultry netting (when it's warm enough) and haven't really fixed on a final shell coating. It'll probably be pc, but I have also considered sprayed on foam or stucco. #3 will likely remain unheated space so I won't need high insulation values. Of course it's all iffy at this point. Spray foam will require fireproofing inside, which could be more work than just doing the whole thing in pc to start with. I've been itching to try out my tirolessa, have to find air fittings that fit my system - the one it came with does not fit my hoses and so far I haven't found the right one at the big box stores.

I considered tire treads a few years back, but they don't work too well on a dome. They are more suitable for boxes. One helpful factoid - when cutting the sidewalls out, keep your knife blade wet and it'll go through the rubber like hot butter. I used a hose trickling right onto the blade.


Truck windshield makes a good curved picture window  : )

spaceman  All opinions expressed or implied are subject to change without notice upon receipt of new information.  http://Starship-Enterprises.Net

On 12/2/2010 8:55 AM, JUDITH WILLIAMS wrote:
  Spaceman, what is your roof?





__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___