Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Re: [papercreters] How About Transparent Papercrete?



Well, thanks for the compliment, but I just make it up as I go along. We don't talk about the ones that don't work out.  : )

Considering the effect that portland cement has on glass, I think the fibers would have to be coated with something to prevent deterioration. Mono-filament fishing line should not have that problem. I wonder how well mono-filament transmits light, though. Sure it is transparent in a thin rod, but how about when it is a foot thick?  Someone should try embedding a bundle of it into a pc block and then trim the ends to see how it works out. It is an interesting idea and would probably be better insulation than a bottle wall. I have too much on my plate right now, so I probably would not get round tuits anytime soon.

Last year I looked for glass fiber to embed in the planned underground dome, with the upper ends above ground to be gathered into a solar concentrator. I never did find a good source of cheap fiber and then the project got put on indefinite hold, so I stopped looking. 

spaceman  All opinions expressed or implied are subject to change without notice upon receipt of new information.  http://Starship-Enterprises.Net

On 12/14/2010 10:17 PM, Perry Way wrote:
This is a really cool idea, I'll second Wayne's exuberance.  Though I don't think you would want to pin a lover against the wall and make-out with the lights on because then people'd know what you were up to even if they couldn't see you exactly.  The only thing is this is very spendy.  Very very spendy Wayne.... I agree it's a great idea but the price is prohibitive.  Would be nice to see if anyone could come up with a secondary approach.  Like.. perhaps using fishing line.  Maybe someone could invent a mechanism to needle fishing line through forms and then you pour the papercrete in once it's been threaded up.  Then to remove the forms you have to razor off the ends to be able to lift it off.  I dunno.. Spaceman.. what do you think?  You're quite the "rough and ready" engineer!




__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___