Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Re: [papercreters] Re: Petrified Hessian



No, I was the one who mentioned people in general being math challenged. Working out the cost of a recipe is nothing more than a math exercise after a little research into material prices. It is appalling that our educational system fails to give people the tools needed to do things for themselves, but that's the way it is. I taught adult classes at night for years, and most of the students could not do elementary math. I finally quit after being told that I had to pass a certain percentage of students whether or not they did their work or passed the tests. Many here are working to alleviate the problem, with various amounts of success. Not everyone has building experience, but at least they are thinking and asking questions. Everyone has to start somewhere. There is no shame in not knowing, the shame is in not asking.

The recipe is interesting. I saved it with the idea that I might possibly try it "someday" but at the moment I don't see it as useful for papercrete, or not nearly as useful as other methods. Maybe someone will actually try it out and report back to the group. It might make a quick wall, but one with no insulation and little strength. It just seems like extra work and expense for nothing when you can make a strong insulative load bearing wall with papercrete and be done with it.

spaceman

All opinions expressed or implied are subject to change without notice upon receipt of new information.  http://Starship-Enterprises.Net

On 12/1/2010 5:29 PM, Wayne wrote:
Dear Spaceman.  I was not attacking any individual, and at no time did I comment on anyone's math ability.  I attacked the logic, or lack of it that people replied with as a whole.  but if you look at the questions asked it should be apparent that, as obviously no one in this group has used this, which has been stated, then the answers cannot be majicked out.  If someone has to ask if a single layer of hessian painted with cement is "earthquake proof", or the value of products in an unknown location then I really doubt where they will go with understanding what is available to learn.  I posted the information for everyone's benefit so they could learn the recipe.  It is up to them if they "choose" to "stop, think & learn". End of this part of the subject!!!!   My apologies for the typographical error with getting the squares back to front.  That was my mistake when I typed it in.  As mentioned in a previous post, the hessian (burlap) is stretched over a wooden frame.  ie. the petrified hessian is used as you would a wall board/cladding.  It is not meant to replace papercrete.  I figure it would be great for non structural walls due to it's light weight and speed of coverage.  Good for ceilings too I would expect.  Wayne 


__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___