Saturday, December 4, 2010

Re: [papercreters] Re: Petrefied Hessian

for the snakeproof underground wall would Nylon Cement not be better?i
think below grade the hessian would rot where the nylon net
shouldn't.i am personaly about to begin working with magnesium oxide
and cloth as i have just gotten a bag to try-it is 'keen' to bond with
fibre where portland cement apparently repels fibre.i have tried
variations on the petrified hessian but my google skills weren't up to
finding the traditional recipe-i imagine bondcrete mite b a good
addition to the mix?i wonder what the alum and salt are for?

On 12/4/10, Teresa P <ablueprincess@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Excuse me but the reason I questioned about underground is because I am
> thinking of a snake proof fence which would need about 1 ft underground in a
> very dry climate. I am also "exploring" and "learning" No I have not built
> anything before, but there is always a first and when I get to the point of
> actually building I assure you that by that time I will know more about
> this.
>
> --- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne" <huon@...> wrote:
>>
>> I posted the recipe. I have not made the product yet. I live in
>> Australia, you probably live somewhere else. For crying out loud people,
>> if you can't work these basic things out for yourself then how can you be
>> capable of constructing a dwelling fit to live in????????
>>
>> What happened everyone's ability to do things for themselves. I thought
>> this was a forum full of practical and capable people. After all the
>> replies I have had on this one I am doubting my original thoughts on that.
>>
>> Wayne
>>
>>
>> > how much $ per sq ft would this probably work out to? Would it hold up
>> > underground as well? how about earthquakes?
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >
>>
>> >> My metric conversion skills are not too good, so could someone
>> >> convert the recipe for me. Using 5 gallons of water instead of
>> >> litres and going from there?
>> >>
>>
>> >>
>> >> I am also wondering what this is used for. I have been
>> >> negotiating with someone about taking own a large metal
>> >> building so I could use it for porch roofs but had not heard
>> >> back from the guy until yesteray. So I thought I would get an
>> >> old billboard and paint it with something to stifffen it up.
>> >> Is this the sort of thing you would do with the Hessian?
>> >>
>> >>
>>
>>
>> >>
>> >> How big of a building could you build with this? Could you
>> >> use
>> >> it as a waterproof coating for rammed earth, papercrete or
>> >> strawbale?
>> >>
>>
>> >> >
>> >> > After many weeks of painstaking research I have came across
>> >> the recipe for
>> >> > Petrified Hessian as use here in Australia since the war
>> >> and
>> >> still used
>> >> > today, so I will print it here and appreciate any feedback,
>> >> especially
>> >> > from anyone that tries it. I live in a very wet environment
>> >> and will post
>> >> > feedback as to how it goes here.
>> >> >
>> >> > Wayne
>> >> >
>> >> > Petrified Hessian
>> >> >
>> >> > 5 liters water
>> >> > 5.5kg cement
>> >> > 900g lime
>> >> > 450g salt
>> >> > 225g alum
>> >> >
>> >> > Apply the mix immediately to the hessian with a stiff
>> >> brush,
>> >> first outside
>> >> > then inside. After the initial wetness goes but before the
>> >> mix sets apply
>> >> > a second coat to the outside. When this final coat sets the
>> >> material will
>> >> > be hard and strong. The mix should cover about 8m square.
>> >> Keep the
>> >> > surface damp for 3 days by spraying it with water.
>> >> >
>> >>
>> >>
>> >>
>> >>
>> >>
>> >>
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> >>
>> >> No virus found in this message.
>> >> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
>> >> Version: 10.0.1170 / Virus Database: 426/3288 - Release Date:
>> >> 11/29/10
>> >>
>> >
>> >
>> >
>>
>
>
>


------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/