Friday, April 19, 2013

Re: [papercreters] Re: Crosscut shredder



Hello
I build a larger version of a vita mix using a home made blade, a 5 gallon plastic pail, a drill, a threaded rod and some nuts. Worked ok but I also had to make/use a lid as the slop gets quite excited. Again as mentioned, it depends on how much production you want. Oh ja. Use a big drill. This uses lots of power.

XanderDeafman <xanderdeafman1@bigpond.com> wrote:

 

Yeah, I bought Fellowes Ds-500C Cross Cut Shredder for $89.00 from Officeworks.

Problem was, it's too slow, it heats up too fast, and stops to cool down every so often. VERY frustrating. It's no good. It's only to be used once in a while, like in an office setting, not at home shoving a pile of paper through to get the crosscut done fast.

Tomorrow I'll take it back and get the refund.

Damn it.

I have a look for INDUSTRIAL shredders... they're BLOODY expensive. How can a poor fellow like me afford their crap?

I tested my 3 or so years old Vita-Mix blender on the crosscuts of papers I managed to shove through, and I learned how quickly the blender made short work of the paper... lovely.

But I knew it would messes up the Vita-mix blender, so I'm thinking of a powerful electric motor to build, to make a home-made giant electric blender/mixer, that would mixes the paper AND water, and cement, etc. That would do several jobs in one. Makes more sense to me.

But I ain't no electrician or electronic geek. If I could find plans, maybe I can jimmy the thing together and it'll work. Oh well.

That's about it.

Oh yeah, I want to make papercrete headstone for my dad, sneak in the cemetery, put it there, and disappear. Eh eh. No one would notice for a long time, I'll bet. With a heavy base of real concrete with metal stones, I think, that would be good, to anchor papercrete headstone in place. 'Course, the whole thing will be covered with waterproofing, like varnishes, clear ones, or maybe enamel, I think. I'll see if those are good, if I could just get a good blender/mixer... something to work the papers into pulp and mix in the cement, etc etc.

It'll be fun.

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, JUDITH WILLIAMS <williams_judith@...> wrote:
>
>
> I know there has been discussion about this in the past and there are some who shred paper. But I have always thought it better to keep the cellulose fibers long. That way they can bind everything together and prevent cracks. If you look at the illustration on www.livinginpaper.com you will see how the fibers encapsulate the cement and entrap air to increase insulation.
>
> Sincerely, Judith
>
> Check out my new papercrete blog http://www.papercretebyjudith.com/blog and leave me a comment.
>
> Check out my new Squidoo Lens at http://www.squidoo.com/papercretebyjudith
>
>
>
>
> EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
> Join me
>
> To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
> From: Carl@...
> Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 13:38:03 +0000
> Subject: [papercreters] Crosscut shredder
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Would something like these paper shredders do the job for small scale production?
>
> I read that one of these cuts particles down too nearly as small as the paper blow-in insulation from Home Depot/Lowes.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Carl (new to PC)
>
> http://tinyurl.com/ykldbrx
>



__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___