Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Re: [papercreters] Flooring.



Judith can help you, I am sure she will see this and respond.


On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 7:55 PM, Rusty S <slaytonfarms@gmail.com> wrote:
 

Hello all,

First time poster. I am so frustrated with my build and need some guidance. We live in West Central Texas. We are at a stand still on our build because of the floors. Here is what we have done so far.

I have buried 4 layers of tires rammed full of caliche and have 2 layers above ground making the foundation done.
I put in all of the below ground blackwater plumbing. This includes the septic tank and leach field.
I put in 6 inches of caliche, leveled, and packed as a subfloor.
This was all finished 18 months ago. Then we started trying to save the 8k needed to pour a concrete slab inside the Tire Foundation. But life keeps throwing us curve balls and we can never quite raise the money to the full 8k. We even got it to 7k in December and life happened taking the lot of it. On a Paramedics wage that was a chore.
(You getting the whole story to get a full appreciation of my frustration.)
The Dang Slab is just not going to happen so we are looking for something I can do myself and as money comes in. Because we are not going to take out a loan, this is the only absolute in the build.

Now with the questions. I have seen alot of people doing adobe floors and they always involve saying that the will Groove and or pit depending on what kind of furniture you put on it. That sounds horrible to me. I found CEBs (Compressed Earth Bricks) stabilized with concrete done by a family and was excited about that. But to buy a machine to make the bricks is 25k, DANG.

The floor plan is huge and a bit embarrassing as we homeschool and have incorporated a classroom and office into the home, 2600 sq ft.

I can build almost anything, but this floor thing is driving a wedge into the effort and I need help. My wife has all but given up on it and I need a solution or I will be forced to mortgage my 6th generation homestead to go the loan route and I hate that with all I am. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Rusty




--
"Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture the heart." ~ Ancient Indian Proverb



__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___