Sunday, September 23, 2012

Vedr. [papercreters] Re: Using papercrete to insulate the chimney in a rocket mass heater



I hear you:-)
My experience is very limited, I'm currently using papercrete to insulate my walls, I will use stones on the outside, and probably Tadelakt on the inside. I can't put borax in the mix, because it's sold at the Pharmacy here, at 73 dollars pr. 30 grams. As a private person I cannot buy it in bulk, I did file a request to the department of "pollution and the climate", to get a form "application to use toxic and very toxic products" that I would have to fill inn, and get the police to sign - but the department have to send me the form, and I only got a reply from the department "we have registered your request", hehe, some months back, and I don't think I will hear from them again.. Norway.. Not that long ago they made it mandatory to report any changes made to "your" bathroom to the state, but they didn't pull it off and had to annul it - many state jobs were lost..
Back to the topic, I'm still not sure if I'm going to use papercrete to insulate the chimney, but if I do I will add a lot of cement - I think it should work if I have enough cement mix, like it has been suggested here before.
 

--- Den søn 2012-09-16 skrev itsbeckybob <itsbeckybob@yahoo.com>:

Fra: itsbeckybob <itsbeckybob@yahoo.com>
Emne: [papercreters] Re: Using papercrete to insulate the chimney in a rocket mass heater
Til: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
Dato: Søndag 16. september 2012 17.02

 
Hello--so far I've mostly been a "wishful lurker" to this site(wanting to use papercrete extensively, only being able to dabble a bit, reading whatever time allows). Having used a rocket stove last year in the house we are in the process of building, this post caught my attention, so I thought I might reply with what little bit of experience I have.

A couple of years ago we were lucky enough to find (at a yard sale) a 3' tall (approx) metal box with a 6" stove pipe attached inside (I think it was made to be used as a double-wall to insert through a wall). When we got to the stage we were ready to build our rocket stove, we simply filled the space between the pipe and the box (about 1-2" wide) with wood ashes. We figured it was the perfect insulator--non-flammable, non-heat-conductive (is that a word?) and cheap.

To make a long explanation short, we set it up on a couple of cinderblocks, the 55 gallon barrel fit down exactly over the top of it onto the same cinderblocks with a couple-of-inches space at the top, a 6" elbow pipe fit in at the back for the smoke to go out, the burn box between the cinderblocks and out the front was made out of bricks, then we built a wooden box around the cinderblocks and filled it with plain dirt to cover all the air cracks. We didn't have to cut any holes in anything metal--which was good because we didn't have any way to do that.

On the subject of papercrete, several years ago I was doing some experimenting with papercrete (did you know, by the way, that while papercrete "bricks" are setting you can place small rocks/other articles in the top in different patterns and they turn out beautiful? Don't try putting the rocks in patterns in the bottom of the molds, however, because they fall out later). Anyway, I had made a few blocks and, as it was somewhat cold outside at the time, I had set them up next to our woodstove to dry faster. That evening I noticed one had fallen over quite close to the stove and had started to smoke a bit, so I took it outside and leaned it up against the aluminum siding on the porch, figuring it would just go out since there was only a little smoke and no actual fire. The next morning I went out to get it, and it was gone--for a moment I wondered who had taken my papercrete block, then I noticed a small pile of ashes on the porch, and a yellowed spot on the aluminum siding. Can anyone say "smoldering?"

After that experience, I myself wouldn't use papercrete anywhere near extreme heat unless some type of fireproofing (borax, maybe) had been added--maybe not even then just to be safe. We're actually in the process of getting our rocket stove ready to place cob/clay around it to turn it into a mass heater this year. We are, however, planning on using papercrete as mortar between stone/cordwood on the outside of our house and maybe on one of our interior walls for a pattern/texture when we get that far ;p

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "oystein_tandberg" <oystein_tandberg@...> wrote:
>
> Hi!
> I was wondering if anyone has any experience in using papercrete to insulate chimneys? I'm planning to make a rocket mass heater, and I see most people use perlite, but perlite is very expensive here, so I was thinking using papercrete instead – ideas anyone?
> Best regards
>



__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___