Friday, September 7, 2012

Re: [papercreters] Pure cardboard slurry



That's very encouraging to hear. As far as your differential it must have been in bad shape to begin with as I would believe the abuse put on it in papercrete making would be very minimal compared to real world apps. Perhaps a bad seal? Anyways I'd like to hear more about your cardboard blocks. Really no cement? How much packing in the forms are you talkIng about? What blade did you emPloy on your mixer? I. Know this is a lot of questions but I'm so new at this


From: Donald Miller <donald1miller@yahoo.com>;
To: <papercreters@yahoogroups.com>;
Subject: Re: [papercreters] Pure cardboard slurry
Sent: Sat, Sep 8, 2012 3:13:42 AM

 

Cardboard, in MHO, works great. I quit putting in cement and make blocks of cardboard only. I believe there is quite a bit of glue in it that makes for a good binder. I find that the blocks are sturdier than the ones I put cement and clay/sand/gravel. If you pack the cardboard slurry in your forms they will not shrink a lot and they dry light and very easy to handle and I'm sure very good insulation. I will need to put in something for fire retardancy. The straw bale people spray the bales with a boric acid mixture. I will try that in a stacked and mortared wall. Who knows?
 
 Cardboard requires soaking as it is a lot tougher to break down than paper. The McCain tow mixer works great. My differential gave out on mine but I made a lot of blocks before it did. I think it was pretty well worn out to begin with. I am in the process of putting another differential in it so we'll see. I also found that the lawnmower blade I started with is not strong enough for cardboard so I made one out of 1 and 1/2 inch by 3/16 angle and ground a cutting edge on it.
--- On Fri, 9/7/12, daniel_ranly <daniel_ranly@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: daniel_ranly <daniel_ranly@yahoo.com>
Subject: [papercreters] Pure cardboard slurry
To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
Date: Friday, September 7, 2012, 4:14 PM

 
So I've been experimenting with papercrete for a while now and am in the process of building a pull behind mixer for large batches. As it turns out I have access to a lot of cardboard boxes that I'd like to utilize. Ive made some in small batches that came out ok using drill and stucco attachment. Will the McCain mixer do a better job pulping cardboard? Whats you general thoughts on using purely cardboard? BTW I'm new here so I look forward to learning from y'all thanks, Todd.



__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___