Friday, September 7, 2012

Re: [papercreters] Pure cardboard slurry



Cardboard, in MHO, works great. I quit putting in cement and make blocks of cardboard only. I believe there is quite a bit of glue in it that makes for a good binder. I find that the blocks are sturdier than the ones I put cement and clay/sand/gravel. If you pack the cardboard slurry in your forms they will not shrink a lot and they dry light and very easy to handle and I'm sure very good insulation. I will need to put in something for fire retardancy. The straw bale people spray the bales with a boric acid mixture. I will try that in a stacked and mortared wall. Who knows?
 
 Cardboard requires soaking as it is a lot tougher to break down than paper. The McCain tow mixer works great. My differential gave out on mine but I made a lot of blocks before it did. I think it was pretty well worn out to begin with. I am in the process of putting another differential in it so we'll see. I also found that the lawnmower blade I started with is not strong enough for cardboard so I made one out of 1 and 1/2 inch by 3/16 angle and ground a cutting edge on it.
--- On Fri, 9/7/12, daniel_ranly <daniel_ranly@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: daniel_ranly <daniel_ranly@yahoo.com>
Subject: [papercreters] Pure cardboard slurry
To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
Date: Friday, September 7, 2012, 4:14 PM

 
So I've been experimenting with papercrete for a while now and am in the process of building a pull behind mixer for large batches. As it turns out I have access to a lot of cardboard boxes that I'd like to utilize. Ive made some in small batches that came out ok using drill and stucco attachment. Will the McCain mixer do a better job pulping cardboard? Whats you general thoughts on using purely cardboard? BTW I'm new here so I look forward to learning from y'all thanks, Todd.



__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___