Wednesday, September 19, 2012

[papercreters] Low-end Power Washer Did Top Job Pulping for Me



Haven't been here for almost a year. But thought I'd share this as someone might find it useful.


Saw a well-rated (in comments from buyers) 1500 psi pressure washer available for $100 from Home Depot.

That's about 1,000 psi lower than has previously been recommended here for paper pulping.

Still, thought I'd experiment with it. If it didn't do the job, I had 90 days to return it.

It's this model: AR Blue Clean1500 psi 1.58 GPM Portable Electric Pressure Washer with Total Stop System

For my first two experiments, I used it in a 5 gallon pail 1/2 filled with paper pressed down well. Mostly newsprint and mail -- junk mail letters and envelopes. Heavy-weight stationery but no cardboard.

I did add water to the pail to just cover the top of the paper and let it all soak for about 30 minutes before pulping.

The little 1500 psi pressure washer did an astounding job.

No attachments. No rotary attachment as has been recommended here. Just the wand adjusted to the finest spray. I pumped it up and down through the paper and moved it around the floor and walls of the bucket. Took less than five minutes and I had oatmeal. Was not at all strenuous. 

I DID wear a face shield and hat and neoprene gloves. And that was important, as there is a lot of flyback. My shoes got papered even.

Next move is to a 50-gallon drum. Think this is a useful pulping solution for those working with small batches at a time.

No idea how long this pressure washer will hold up. SHOULD have bought the 3-year extended warranty-replacement plan for $10, but didn't. Meant to, but the 30 days to do got away from me before I had tested the washer to see if it would work for my intended purpose.

I also used it to mix relatively thick mud and lime. For that I measured the lime and the clay into the pail and then pumped the pressure washer up and down and around until I had a thick soup developing and then stirred with the wand while spraying. Worked well, but I do worry about snapping the wand in two doing this.

Hope that's useful for someone.

-- ken




__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___