Thursday, September 6, 2012

Re: [papercreters] insulation use



I used it recently for a floor mixed with adobe dirt. It needs to be thoroughly soaked first before adding to the mix. I didn't notice any bad smell. I also added wheat paste which did smell a bit after a few days but is fine now. I had no cracks and the floor looks very nice. The only problem I had was my resident packrat dug holes in it. I am not concerned because a clay layer is going on top.

Sent from my Kindle Fire




From: Charmaine Taylor <charmainertaylor@gmail.com>
Sent: Thu Sep 06 13:29:48 MDT 2012
To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [papercreters] insulation use

 

I will work with some cellulose insulation paper and cement in small sizes probably making self
 D Cisco-

Dan,  I got a free bale of the  cellulose insulation a few years ago, when wet it smelled like urine (acrid smell)  from the fire retardents in it I was  told...

this was the  Cocoon brand, anyway when wet it is like  fibery toilet paper, it has no mass or bulk to it. when added to clay it makes a lovely soft sculptable mix for a wall plaster.   but it didn't act  at all like papercrete which has regular paper/newspaper in it. 

 Since it is newspaper fluff, and meant to be blown in  between studs and maintain high air entrainment I am not sure how well it will do when just soaked and added to cement. Be interested to see how it performs for you.  Maybe less water will make a difference, but if left too dry it will just clump up and not blend well. (my experience)

 good luck with it, if you can get it free and not have to pay for the bales that's great.

also I found if I soaked the cellulose insulation, and added it to  dry joint compound ( the bagged kind, not premix putty kind in a tub)  it makes a beautiful wall plaster too., but sets up fast, so small batches needed.


--
Charmaine

Charmaine Taylor/Publishing & Elk River Press
PO Box 375 Cutten CA 95534
www.papercrete.com
 
 Robert Heinlein (1907-1988) "There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him."



__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___