Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Re: [papercreters] Top bar honeybee hive made of papercrete



Hi Barry:
 
Kenyan is what I'm shooting for.  Currently I have 4 wooden Kenyan hives, two of which are occupied (2 colonies).  I hope to get more from captured swarms or cuttouts (structure invasions).  I've had bees since last spring, and this year hope to get some honey - I expect anywhere from 10 to 50 lbs - from my two hives.  I like your idea about the GMO pollen.  I may just do it.  On the papercrete hive, I'm going to try it and if it works, I may try to market it.
 
Raf,
Hyattstown, MD

From: Barry Norris <barry.pomaikai@gmail.com>
To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 3:26 AM
Subject: Re: [papercreters] Top bar honeybee hive made of papercrete

 
Aloha, Flea, (Raf)
Mahalo nui for getting me interested in top bar beehiving! I had no idea about it, but I've ripped through a few websites about it, and I see the attraction. Please forgive my ignorance. Would you be making a Tanz or a Kenyan style (the latter I like a bit more)? Have you had good success with TBBK'ing? Oh, hey, you might put a little disclaimer on entry area of the hive(s) to indicate it is made w/papercrete, with all the disclaimers about how bees should be fully aware of what pollen is acceptable ("no GMO pollen accepted!").
Can't resist it! No, seriously, I do mean to thank you for making me take an interest in this novel (and really ancient but very appealing) way of keeping bees!
Barry

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 10:09 AM, Flea <fleaflier@yahoo.com> wrote:
 
Hi Y'all:

I'm a top bar bee keeper and I've been thinking of molding a beehive out of papercrete. Thinking of placing chicken wire inside the walls for tewnsile strength, but would like to go as light as possible, while keeping the elements out. Any recipe ideas to suggest?

Raf






__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___