Sunday, August 22, 2010

Re:[papercreters] PAPERCRETE SCULPTURES



Hi Zoe,

Welcome to the group. We had a couple of sculptors on this group using papercrete last summer, but haven't heard from them in a while. I'm an ex-sculptor unless you count the stuff I build as sculpture, in which case I still am. For the equipment I make, form follows function so they are only sculptural in a steampunk way. Domes are geometric inside and organic outside.

Papercrete is great for sculpture, works like clay in many ways. And you end up with clean hands, unlike working concrete. It is still good to wear gloves though, because the water is alkaline after you mix in cement.

A concrete mixer isn't ideal for papercrete unless you're starting with cellulose insulation and just have to stir in the portland cement. If you are starting with paper then more of a blender action is faster, even if you have shredded paper. For large batches I use my no-tow mixer to get about 15-20 cubic feet at a time. For small batches a power spray washer and a plastic drum makes about 5 cubic feet. There are a few persistent people who mix paper to pulp in a cement mixer. I only tried it once, so I'll leave it to them to tell their methods.

Look back through the last few weeks' archives and find Judith's pictures of her hand applied roof. I think you'll like it. Here's the start of mine, waiting for a day without thunderstorms to get another coat.


--  spaceman  All opinions expressed or implied are subject to change without notice upon receipt of new information.  http://Starship-Enterprises.Net  Zoe said: 

Hi, I work with schoolchildren when I am employed on short term contracts as a community Artist.
I have worked as a brickies/mason's labourer in the past and am used to using a cement mixer.
I have my own mixer.
I use my own recipe for making cement sculptures that are hand formed on a metal armature.
I am considering that papercrete would be a better medium to use with children as is introduces recycling and would make lightweight sculptures that will be easier to move and handle, compared to the heavy sculptures I currently make at home.
I would like to make contact with other sculptors using this medium and gain advice and recipes that would be ideal for children to use.
I have an opportunity to engage Primary school students in making some large pieces of sculpture to be sited outdoors.
Location Australia, Western Australia (mediterranean type climate)
Any and all advice would be much appreciated.
Zoe.  


__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___