Monday, August 23, 2010

Re: [papercreters] Cool house



Judith, that's what I've noticed as well with the old adobe buildings, such as California's Missions.  I have visited this one Mission recently about 3 or 4 times, to photograph, and one day I was nearly heat stroked to death, well.. that's what it felt like for a few hours.. turns out it was 110 there if you can imagine. This is Mission San Antonio de Padua, in Monterey County.  The whole building is constructed of mud brick.  It was I would estimate about 85 degrees in the hallway between the church and another building, breeze going through was cooler than out in the open but also the bricks did not heat up where the wind passed through.


I think there is something more in the works than simple R-value.  I think it's also mass-value.  Dense materials have a resistance to temperature change because of the mass cold stored up.  And it takes longer for the more massive objects to warm up than the less massive objects.  


On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 9:20 PM, JUDITH WILLIAMS <williams_judith@hotmail.com> wrote:
 

I bought 2 thermometers and put one inside my little building and one outside. The inside one read 82 and the outside one was 103. After I finished peeling 4 vigas I went and sat in there and was so comfortable with a pleasant breeze coming through.

Follow progress on the new project at http://www.papercretebyjudith.com/blog

More papercrete info at http://squidoo.com/papercretebyjudith





__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___