Sunday, August 22, 2010

RE: [papercreters] PAPERCRETE SCULPTURES



I don't know who did the wonderful sculpture for the contest we had last summer but I think it would be worthwhile to tlook up the pictures and find out what their formula was. As I remember it it was a very smooth looking thing that was cast in a mold.
 
I have no experience with using papercrete as sculpture material but am fascinated by what can be done with it. I hope you follow up with some pictures of what you come up with.

Follow progress on the new project at http://www.papercretebyjudith.com/blog

More papercrete info at http://squidoo.com/papercretebyjudith



 


To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
From: carolflickinger2@hotmail.com
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 19:45:32 -0600
Subject: RE: [papercreters] PAPERCRETE SCULPTURES

 
Zoe, I have been making recycled art, specifically paper mache sculptures, for many years.  I have photos on my facebook page, if you would like to see them.  It was actually a high school art project that has kept my interest for years.  This method uses old glass (recycling), such as chipped or broken plates, bowls, glasses, or drink bottles (wine bottles word really well, but you probably don't want the kids bringing that to school).  Using epoxy, connect the pieces together into an interesting shape (any shape is interesting), and then cover with paper mache.  When dry, spray paint it, then paint additional detail on it.  Using this method I don't think you would need cement or clay.  You can tear up newspaper, soak it for a couple hours and then pulp it in a blender or you can buy bricks of pulverized paper at Michael's Craft store and just add water (it already contains glue).


To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
From: prrr@talk21.com
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 23:53:47 +0000
Subject: Re:[papercreters] PAPERCRETE SCULPTURES

 
A cement mixer is the wrong type of mixer really, paper doesnt pulp by being tumbled. However...

I gather some people have used shredded paper plus cement in a standard cement mixer, but I've no experience with it. I'd also hazard a guess that if you added a couple of bricks it may help the paper partially pulp.

Its also possible to substitute some (or maybe even all) of the cement with clay. I vaguely wonder whether you could teach them about recycling by using starchy food leftovers from one day - you'd have to apply it thinly so it dries fast though, as with no lime it would otherwise moulder.

Finally a hand held kitchen blender can make small amounts. I've been doing that for test samples.

NT





__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___