Thursday, August 5, 2010

Re: [papercreters] Shrinkage?



Wow, what progress you have made! It looks great!

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 7:30 AM, JUDITH WILLIAMS <williams_judith@hotmail.com> wrote:
 
[Attachment(s) from JUDITH WILLIAMS included below]

I have had problems with shrinkage of papercrete away from wood. I did an 11' slip form wall between 2 large posts, 12" wide. 2 years later I can see that it has really shrunk a lot. This wall has shrunk in about 4" from the vertical logs that serve as posts. Also about 2" on either side. I suppose that if I were to finish this wall (the property has been sold and its future is uncertain) I could fill in the gaps with more pc or some foam insulation.

This is why with the newest projects I have used forms that allow the papercrete to flow around the entire perimeter of the building uninterrupted. I have left a 4' opening for a door (to be widened later after all shrinkage is done) but was sure to make the courses under and over the door as strong as could be. So far I've seen only small inconsequential cracks around the top corners of doors in the first building I did this way. I have made some improvements to the second building and see no cracks.

I use a mix of soaked cardboard, about 3) 55 gallon drums per 200 gallon load to which I add 1/2 bag of cement. I also have access to pumice and add about 15 large shovels full. I believe this does a lot to increase mineral content and minimize shrinkage. I have used sand in the past but not any more. It seemed to sink to the bottom of the mixer no matter what I did. Now if I don't have any pumice I just use the cardboard and cement. The more cement the less shrinkage. If you are slip forming then weight of the cured product isn't as important. When I first started making blocks I used a recipe that called for 2 bags of cement. Now I am using those blocks in my slip formed walls and can't believe how heavy they are.

I am now about 2/3 done with my roof on the first building. I put up vigas about 30" apart and tacked a double layer of chicken wire over them and down the sides a little bit. I pour the slurry on top and surprisingly enough it doesn't fall through. I am careful to continue the roof papercrete so it flows right into the walls. I want this to me as monolithic as possible. What this building reminds me of is an upside down styrofoam cooler. I have embedded some old blocks in the roof to use them up and take up some space (less slurry to mix and lift to the roof). So far it's coming out very well.

Your mixer sounds like a good one. Spaceman and I have been discussing using a small stationary mixer and somehow putting it right on top of the wall forms. That way you could mix up the slurry, empty it right into the form then move the mixer along as you go. If I had some mechanical ability and knowledge of tools etc I would try this. If anyone is interested in coming to work with me and wants to try this they are more than welcome.

Anyway, good luck with your shed project. It sounds like it's going to come out very cute.



Follow progress on the new project at http://www.papercretebyjudith.com/blog

More papercrete info at http://squidoo.com/papercretebyjudith





To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
From: carlsondanjames@yahoo.com
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 10:14:55 +0000
Subject: [papercreters] Shrinkage?

 
First off I would like to say 'You guys/gals are awesome!!'. I love like minded people. Everyone I talk to about papercrete looks at me like I have two heads.

My first papercrete project will be a shed in the backyard. Something that looks like a small cottage with a 3' front porch, front door with windows on either side.

I was thinking 12' X 10' with 8' walls, 8' double doors in the side. Foundation of cement block 12" below and 12 above grade. Framing would consist of rough cut lumber, 4x4 posts for the corners plus frame work for the doors and windows, topped with 2x4.

I am now thinking that shrinkage is going to be a problem and the framework will have to go and make the walls 10" wide and load bearing.

The roof is also bugging me because I want it made of papercrete as well but I need some suggestions on how to make that work.

My paper material will be box cardboard, recipe will be barrel filled with pre-soaked cardboard, 1/2 bag of cement, filler ? (don' know yet) probably sand.

My mixer is going to be a 45 gallon plastic barrel with a 3" waste outlet that they use in campers, the mixer is going to be a 1/4 hp electric motor with a pulley connected via a belt to a 3 1/2' metal shaft with mixing blades on it.

In a 10" thick wall what is the width shrinkage? Does it shrink in the length?

Thanks
Dan






--
"If you give yourself fully to this moment the next moment will turn out just right."

- Sequoyah Trueblood




__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___