Tuesday, August 3, 2010

[papercreters] Re: How good is it?



This entire wall was slip formed using the formula 3 parts wet paper pulp, 2 part dry red clay, 1 part portland cement. It is 8" thick tied to the slab it sets on with rebar, 1/2" on 4' centers drilled into the slab. It is tied to the OSB behind it with brick ties same spacing with 2" drywall screws. We are just about to finish up the project, hope to be through by labor day, all except the papercrete stones that will be applied to both sides of the wall and the entire exterior wall of my workshop/garage. Can't hardly wait the get finished up.

I find that the cooler the weather the longer it takes for the PC to set up, I don't think humidty has much to do with it. My formula is hard by the next morning in warm to hot weather, I can attach 2x4's to it with screws the 2nd morning. I am finding out that the top of the wall even though it is poured last, sets up first, and the bottom sets up last and I believe this is because the water from all the pours above drain down into the last row until it all evaporates out.

I had a suprise recently, I left some Papercrete stone in a wheelborrow and it rained, filling the wheelborrow completly full of water, and it set there for about a week before I found it, the water had turned black for some reason and the stones that were completly submerged were also black, I thought they would be soft as mush but was surprised to find they all were just as solid as ever and dried out very fast, and show no harmful results of the ordeal except the black stones remained a dark gray color when dry. I don't think I would be afraid to use this formula as a fish pond, as a matter of fact I may just do that next year!

BTB


--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "carlsondanjames" <carlsondanjames@...> wrote:
>
> I have been following, with passing interest, papercrete for several years. I think it is a great idea! But I have a few questions for the vets.
> 1) I live in Nova Scotia Canada. The climate here is humid even in the winter the wet cold is harsh. Most of the buildings that I see are in the south west United States. Do you think that papercrete will hold in a wet environment?
> 2) Has anyone tried slip form walls with papercrete? Pouring wet papercrete on top of a partly cured wall to add height.
> 3) What is the best recipe?
> 4) I thought I saw a sandbag foundation, how does that work?
> 5) I have seen papercrete shot onto a wire frame. How is that structurally?
>
> So many questions so little time. Please respond. I look forward to your answers.
>
> Thanks
> Dan
>



__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___