Thursday, July 17, 2008

Re: [papercreters] Sound Chamber Recipe Guess -was- Re: papercreters

Methinks some of this may come down to the thickness. I have blocks which I have put in a lot of sand and cement and others which are basic spitball bricks. Paper water and nothing else.
It would take a lot of study to determine which would be better for soundproofing, but if you need something soundproffed I bet 24 inches of what ever you have on tap will do the trick. Doors and windows???? yer on yer own.

slurryguy <slurryguy@yahoo.com> wrote:

OH YEAH...

When covering doors and windows, make absolutely certain that you
have an easily removable panel or the door/window still operates.
Make sure that emergency exits are not blocked by he papercrete.

Removable panels for ventilation ducts is also a good idea.

STAY SAFE.

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "slurryguy" <slurryguy@...>
wrote:
>
> I do not think anyone knows for certain.
>
> I'll give you my best guess, but it's just a GUESS.
>
> I think the best soundproofing papercrete will be synonomous with
the
> best insulating papercrete. I also think that the best sound
> material will do more than just inhibit sound. I think the
> papercrete should also be low flamability. No point in building a
> sound chamber only to die in it because it burned down with you
> inside.
>
> That indicates to me that most papercrete recipes would do a very
> good job of sound suppression. The question is, which ones are my
> best guess for the top sound supressors?
>
> I'll toss this custom recipe that I'm designing off the top of my
> head as I type this message. I've never tested it exactly this
way,
> but I'm reasonably confident it would work well for this
> application. It should be very high insulating and good sound
> supression and low flamability/smolderability. I'll list
quantities
> appropriate for a 200gal tow mixer.
>
> + 60lbs newsprint (I think newsprint will be better than magazine
> paper for this particular purpose.)
> + Half bag of cement. (47lbs or so)
> + 6 lbs laundry borax.
> + 150 gal water. (Enough water to fill the tow mixer, but not so
> much to have it slop over the side while mixing.)
>
> Pulp mixture thoroughly.
> Pour into mold or forms.
> Allow to drain for 5 minutes.
> Compress drained slurry into form.
> Let sit for an hour.
> Remove form.
> Allow to dry for 3-4 weeks, depending upon the weather.
> Install in the chamber.
>
> The mix will need to be installed several inches thick. 2 or 3
> inches thick will deaden a little sound. 6 inches will probably be
> kinda okay. A foot thick would be good. Two feet thick would be
> great. (I'm assuming it's going to be a reasonably small room.)
>
> Don't forget to cover the floor, the ceiling, the door, and the
> windows. The doorway may require some kind of removable panel or a
> 2nd door.
>
> This papercrete is NOT going to be a very strong mix. It will be
> fairly weak compared to many other papercrete recipies, but it's
not
> designed to support structural loads, so it shouldn't matter much.
> It should be strong enough to support its own weight, but that's
> about all. Don't expect it to hold up a roof. It should be very
> very easy to cut the dry blocks with a saw.
>
> The high borax content should keep the flamability/smolderabilty
very
> very low, but this mix should not be considered completely
fireproof.
>
> I repeat. I haven't tried this mix. I haven't tested this mix.
> This is something I just thought up off the top of my head based
upon
> my experience testing various mixes and logic about what makes a
good
> sound barrier. It is possible my guesses could be incorrect about
> how well this mix will perform. I recommend that anyone
considering
> this mix test it in a small quantity before trying to use it. If
it
> doesn't work the way you like, don't use it. Be sure to put a
torch
> to a dry test block to verify that it won't be a firetrap. STAY
SAFE.
>
> Be sure to post about your tests and attempts if you do try this
> mix. I'd like to "hear" how it performs. I personally request
> pictures, or even better, a YouTube video clip complete with
audio.
> What's the point of showing only pictures of a sound chamber?
SOUND
> is the reason it's being built. I want to hear a radio blasting in
> another room only to hear the radio go silent as the sound chamber
> door closes.
>
> I wish you success with your project. Have fun.
>
> Sadly, I don't think this recipe will succeed in silencing the
voices
> inside my head. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!
>
>
> --- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "maya1387" <maya1387@> wrote:
> >
> > ..What is the best mix design of papercrete that can be used as a
> > soundproofing material?..
> >
>


__._,_.___

Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___