Wednesday, July 16, 2008

RE: [papercreters] Re: Offgassing of concrete

Your outgassing in a small room elicited a well appreciated laugh from me. Reminds me of the chef friend at my 4th of July barbecue who, when asked if he wanted any beans replied " No thanks I'm working near the grill". As for outgassing cement, I have had that concern and worked to decrease use of portland as much as possible.  There are so many ways to look at it. We leave a footprint no matter what we do. In primitive times folks just lived with what they could gather or hunt, paying it back regularly as manure and ultimately in human fertilizer when they died. There are so many things we just have to come to grips with. We didn't create the situation and there isn't much we can do to change it so we just have to decide what course our consciences will allow us to take. As for me, I've relaxed my standards a lot. After a year of non-activity (thanks to the code officials) I"ve had time to come up with a plan and I'm so happy that it includes papercrete. So I'll keep you posted. I'm just lining up my workers and drafting the plan. I will make some concessions resulting in more use of cement than I have been comfortable with but .....after all is said and done we can either live in an apartment or other substandard situation, or we can do whatever it takes to live in our own self-made homes on our own chunk of earth. It may not be the absolute ideal but it will be as close as we can get it. We do our best and must appreciate ourselves for our efforts.
Sincerely, Judith
Visit my papercrete website at www.judith-l-williams.com.

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark. Professionals, on the other hand, built the Titanic." Author unknown.



To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
From: slurryguy@yahoo.com
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 01:33:48 +0000
Subject: [papercreters] Re: Offgassing of concrete

See below for interspersed responses.

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "ngrdh" <hnegaard@...> wrote:
>
> HI all,
>
> My husband was informed by one of his coworkers that the offgassing
of curing concrete is a
> major component of global warming. I have never heard of this and
was wondering if there is
> any truth to this at all?

Ernie already mentioned the manufacturing process of cement (that's
portland cement, the powder that is a component of concrete.)

Whether someone considers it a major component is clearly open to
interpretation. I personally would call it "significant" but not
major. Keep in mind that lime (the plaster component, not the
citrus) production produces similar gases.

Concrete does outgass very small amounts of things, but it also very
slowly absorbs some gases too. This is absolutely trivial as it
pertains to global warming.

>
> I'd be curious to hear from all of you on this. My gut reaction is
that ...

You really don't want to hear my gut reactions... when I have those
reactions in a closed room, people tend to evacuate the room quickly
and hold their noses on the way out.

ohhhhhhhhh... now that joke was just gross and uncalled for... BAD
SLURRYGUY BAD! BAD! BAD!

<slinking back to my corner to endure my punishment>

> the guy either has gotten
> some propoganda info, or he misinterpreted what he heard. Either
way, would really like to
> know the specifics so I can front this question intelligently.
>
> Thanks!
>




Time for vacation? WIN what you need. Enter Now! __._,_.___

Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___