Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Re: [papercreters] Re: MGO

SG and Ernie, excellent information.
 
The issue that SG mentions of the MgO leaching out of papercrete as it drains would seem to be serious.   Because of its small particle size and slow solubility rate, I suspect this would be a problem, unless it would bond with or get caught in the paper fibers.   On the other hand, if a way can be found for the water to not drain out of the mix, then the MgO would absorb the remaining water much more than Portland.
 
As I understand it the need for a lot of water is in the mix is so that the paper can be mulched up by a mixing blade.   What if the paper were already shredded and added after the mix was relatively stabilized?
 
Neal  
 
-------------- Original message --------------
From: "slurryguy" <slurryguy@yahoo.com>

I've never used it, but I admit I'm learning since the posting. lol.

I doubt if this answers the specific questions posed, but it probably
will answer many of the unasked questions about it from others in the
group. These first 2 links come from the self proclaimed inventor.
(of course I've found other references dating back to Stanislas Sorel
in 1867, so I don't know if I recognize this dude as the inventor.)
The cool thing about this link is where it comes from... TASMANIA...
that alone makes the link cool. hehehe

http://www.tececo.com/history.magnesium_cements.php
http://www.tececo.com/history.magnesium_hydraulic_cements.php

Another source:

http://www.greenhomebuilding.com/pdf /MgO-GENERAL.pdf

I'm trying to figure out how much of the MgO will leach out of
papercrete as it drains. If too much leaches out it won't be a good
thing to use regardless of cost.

It looks like MgO also plays well with other stuff, e.g. pozzolans,
like fly ash.

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "Ernie Phelps" <eepjr24@...>
wrote:
>
> --- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "xserenity" <xserenity@> wrote:
> >
> > I have done some cordwood with cob/paper concrete mixes for
using
> > as morter and surfacing. There is a lot of negative issues with
> > concrete, and I am wondering if anyone has tried using MGO
instead
> > of portland cement ?
>
> I'll be honest and say I had not heard of MgO before you mentioned
it
& gt; here. I like the idea and here are the pros and cons as I see it:
>
> PRO:
> 1. Mixes well with Cellulose based materials.
> 2. Very mold, fire and water resistant.
> 3. Somewhat better for the environment than portland.
> 4. Available both as a mix and as pre-made panels.
>
> CON:
> 1. Very expensive compared to portland ($2 per lb vs $.75 per lb).
> 2. Untested within the papercrete arena (not a big problem as it has
> been thoroughly tested with a large variety of aggregates).
>
> I am sure there are more points on both sides, that is what a search
> and some light reading got me. Anyone out there got some experience
> with it? Or good links for non-biased evaluations?
>
> - Ernie
>

__._,_.___

Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___