Sunday, July 13, 2008

[papercreters] Re: Fence Poles

Papercrete needs to be protected from rain/weather. It does not like
to be in contact with the ground, especially in wetter climates.

Papercrete has low tensile strength. Fence posts are not supporting
much weight, which is what papercrete is best at. Fence posts take
large lateral loads. Tensile strength is premium for this
application.

I do not recommend papercrete as a fence post.

However, if you feel strongly and want to give it a try, go ahead and
see if you can find a system that works. I'm very skeptical, but
maybe you have better ideas than I do.


Where are you wanting to put up a fence? What is the climate? What
natural materials are already on the site? Are there trees? Is
there a lot of rock? Kansas is famous for a lot of limestone
fenceposts:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1029/1297427350_f8d94d262c.jpg

They were cut straight out of the bedrock on the land being fenced.
I think many of those fence posts are well over 100 years old.

I encourage you to get creative and take advantage of whatever
resources are right in front of you.

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "matrovao" <matrovao@...> wrote:
>
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have a small ranch and I'm gonna need to build a new fence. I was
> wondering if I could make my fence poles with papercrete. What dou
you
> think? Does it resist the rain weather? Does it handle horses and
> cows? I believe I'll give it a try. Thank's a lot all of you,
>
> Marcio.
>

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/