Saturday, December 8, 2007

Re: [papercreters] Re: Borax, Boric Acid, Borates, Lime Quandry

Thats a great point about checking in with state agencies about clay availability. I had only been calling the gravel yards.


On Dec 8, 2007, at 10:08 AM, Robert Merrill wrote:


Hi Mikey;

  You said awhile back that clay was not available?? I was wondering if
you had contacted your local D.N.R. office, U.S.F.S., or the largest of
the local excavation contractors?? Clay is abundant on the planet and
you probably have some readily available.

Good Luck......... Bob
--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, Mikey Sklar <sklarm-yahoo@...>
wrote:


I don't see a color difference in my curent mix (60# paper, 30# sand,
20# portland, and #5 slacked lime).

I do see a significant difference in color when using prickly pear
juice
with lime in it. The lime quickly turns the dark green slime into a
white paint. When I mix this with paper and sand I get a unusual green
/
grey coloring. Not your typical light grey papercrete coloring.

I'm not sure about plasticity and brittle changes. I've only been
using
lime in two applications. One as a stucco which was a very rich mix of
things not paper and resulted in a concrete like papercrete material
(very brittle). The other application was pouring the PC into my dome
which has lath on both sides of it so I cannot realy interact with the
papercrete.

On Fri, Dec 07, 2007 at 12:30:59AM -0000, Robert Merrill wrote:

Hi Nick;

I don't see the lime effecting the color....
--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "Nick Boersema" picknick@
wrote:

Question for both Bob and Mikey what do you feel the lime does for
your mix?
Color? Adds plasticity? Final product is less brittle?







Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:




__._,_.___

Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___