Wednesday, December 12, 2007

[papercreters] new member

Hi everybody,


I´ve just joined your group after having first encountered papercrete
in the www - just by accicent.

As a mosaic artist wanting to include sculptural work I´m concerned
with the weight of the final product. Conventional concrete is a
superb substrate, but alas, sometimes too heavy for certain projects.
I´ve also tried my hand at papier maché, another most versatile
technique, and I was wondering about a way to make the result more
durable and resistant to the elements.

I´m particularly interested in the free forming technique and the
forming over a negative mold.
Right now I´m planning on a commission - a planter that´ll be the new
home for a huge tropical indoor plant ("elephant foot tree" - sorry,
I´m ignorant about the proper English or botanical term)with an
outside diameter of 100 centimeters/80 cm high. I cast it in concrete
and it´s very, very heavy. No way to decorate it with glass mosaic
and thus getting even heavier! It´ll grace the patio of a friend
instead...

So again I´m on the lookout for some hard, durable and yet
lightweight substrate to function as the substrate for my mosaic
planter.

I´ve ruled out resin for both costs and toxicity, and papercrete
sounds exciting to me on both issues - cost effective and environment
friendly.

1.Is papercrete absorbent after curing (a most important issue for
mosaicists!).
2. Can papercrete resist the elements in a climate with hot summers
and cold winters (freeze/thaw cycle)? If not, are there any proper
sealants you can recommend me for use? (Not an issue in my current
project).
3. Can I form papercrete over a negative mold (well prepared with a
release agent of course)?
4. I need recipes/mixes for my project in planning. Anyone there who
can help me?
5. Can you recommend the use of latex/acrylic admixes as a fortifier
or are these a no-no in papercrete?
6. Approximate time of curing (depending on thickness and wetness of
course)?
7. Surface treatment - like "wet carving", staining,...?

Thank you for your patience reading my too long message!

I´d be most grateful to anyone sharing his/her invaluable knowledge!

Thanks,


Anna


Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/