Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Re: [papercreters] Re: Restoration of old house


JUDITH

I am getting a cement mixer, will that work?  I will somehow have to convert your formula to something that works for me.  I have not mixed cement for years but I think I used shovels and mixed 1 cement, 2 sand and 3 gravel.  Is that right?  Thanks for sharing

Hal

JUDITH WILLIAMS wrote:

I'll tell you my formula for papercrete. I have a 200 gallon tow mixer so the amounts are figured on that volume. I put the hose in the tank and start filling it. Meanwhile I put 1/2 bag of portland cement on the top of the mixer and sift it in as the water goes in. That way the cement is really dissolved in the water. Then I start adding the newspaper. I have no scale to weigh it so I use a stack 24" high (measured against a line on the side of the tank). There is no need to shred the paper. Just separate the pages, or at least the sections and throw them in. Keep hitting them with water so they mulch up. After the paper is in I add 2 five gallon buckets of ground pumice. If you don't have access to pumice you can use sand or get creative with other things (suggestions anyone?) I have saved all the info from this site on use of borax and such things but haven't really studied them yet. Hope this helps. Oh and I like Slurryguy's answer and encouragement to use papercrete for insulation. I made a batch of papercrete on what I'll call an inauspicious day (a bad to worse situation). I completely forgot to add the cement. The blocks were so lightweight and pretty. When it comes time for me to do a ceiling I'm going to use something like that but with the fire retardant in it.

Sincerely, Judith
Visit my papercrete website at www.judith-l-williams.com.

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark. Professionals, on the other hand, built the Titanic." Author unknown.



To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
From: halschmi@swbell.net
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 17:15:16 -0500
Subject: Re: [papercreters] Re: Restoration of old house

Slurryguy,

Thanks for the ideas, I finished gutting the room today and my plan is
to drill holes in cement berm that goes around the edge of the house and
try to pull it in with a pair of 2000lb comealongs attached to peaces of
rebar in holes drilled in the slab to pull it in. I do not know if
will work. This is like R&D for me. You are right about the gutters and
French drain. there are no gutters and the house has been that way for
a about 100 years.

I know nothing about mixing papercrete, where do I find a formula? Can
I use a cement mixer? Do I need a shredder? Tell me where I can read
about it.

Thanks

Hal

slurryguy wrote:
> Thanks for posting the pictures.
>
> That looks like a good project. It should make a very nice shop.
>
>
> Clearly you know what you are doing. Correcting the foundation
> issues makes sense to me. The foundation problems are likely to be a
> contributing factor if not the primary cause of the walls leaning.
>
> You probably already know this, but poor water drainage around the
> foundation is one of the biggest causes of foundation problems.
> Making sure the gutters are working properly and the downspouts are
> directing water away is important to preventing the problem from
> reoccuring. Adding an appropriate french drain would make sense
> also. Since you are already digging things up, it shouldn't be
> difficult or add very much cost.
>
> Putting in a papercrete insulation layer on the interior of the walls
> and the attic floor should be straight forward. Since the papercrete
> won't be carrying any loads, the strength of the mix won't be an
> issue. I would suggest a lean papercrete mix. If you use Borax in
> the mix and the minimum amount of cement and/or clay to assure that
> the papercrete won't burn or smolder when it's dry, you've got it.
>> You might even be able to utilize some of your demolition waste. The
> drywall/plaster that you rip out, if you are certain that there is no
> asbestos in it, could be ground up in a papercrete mixer and mixed
> into the papercrete. It would reduce the need to use as much cement,
> and avoid the need to dispose of as much.
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>
>
>




Earn cashback on your purchases with Live Search - the search that pays you back! Learn More

__._,_.___

Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___