Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Re: [papercreters] Re: Ed Conley - Project Photos / Followup Mail

ENori,   wow!   Aren't you something?   And I worry about you too.....
 
Thanks for the compliment.   Oops, I guess that wasn't a compliment.   After folks are through discussing whether they imagine the glass half empty or half full, the important question to ask is what is the purpose of the glass, and does it succeed well in that purpose.   You seem to be off in your own world, on plan 173,067,743 (as Slurryguy is keeping track), but not knowing what will work and what won't because you haven't actually done it.   Without someone like myself or Slurryguy or perhaps you husband to tell you what works and what doesn't, where would you be?   I give you an example of how doing one concrete pour is easier and cheaper than doing many, but instead of being able to generalize from that example to the principle involved, you say you won't do concrete and "Is that the only example you can give me"?    Whew.
 
You say you are doing a "hypocaust" floor and that your floor will be "right on the dirt", whatever that means (please I'm not asking to be deluged with more details, not until you reach plan xxxxx perhaps).   So you use a Roman word for a Roman system of heating, but then you are very quick to deny that you are doing anything like the Romans.   Puzzling.   I hate to break this news to you, but "hypocaust" as a literal description of radiant heating no longer exists, except perhaps in a Gulag somewhere.   It is anybody's guess what is currently in your head about heating, but why don't you just say that you are doing radiant heating in some way rather than using an obsolete word for an extinct heating system?
 
The Roman system of heating will not work for some of the same reasons that your pet rocket stove will not heat your house.   Here are two reasons (so that you don't become upset because I gave you only one):   1)  These systems are not supposed to burn logs, and 2) You need slaves or personal attention to keep them going.  Perhaps some day in your extensive research you will realize the wisdom of this.
 
I have no doubt with your many talents and will to persevere, you will eventually come to something that works and achieve success.   Agreeing to a saltbox roof is a step in the right direction.
 
Neal 
 
-------------- Original message --------------
From: "ElfNori" <elf@elfnori.com>

Neal, I worry about you.  You are a glass half empty kinda guy and that's got to be a tough way to go through life.  My husband, the ultimate pessimist, has finally give up on the "it won't work" litany after many years of watching my successes.  He would advise you, in dealing with me, to quit while you're ahead.  He would also advise you to never say "it won't work" to me about anything I plan.
 
I am a "think outside the box" person.  I come from a "think outside the box" family.  I design (and sell) patterns.  I make award winning quilts.  I write awesome programs and build computers.  I write and have been published internationally.  I can drive a loaded log truck and ride a motorcycle.  I can train a horse to ride or drive and you would be amazed at how smart and well behaved my dogs are.  I rebuild and repair sewing machines for fun.  I AM a renaissance woman and I am smart.  I am also retired and I have the time to build things myself.  I grew up building.  This will be slower, but I plan to work smarter, not harder.  I do intend to do as much of the work as I am able. 
 
You compared my app to the Romans.  Not a good comparison.  I didn't say I was using the Romans' version of hypocaust flooring.  They used raised stone floors under which fires were lit.  Workable but not where I'm going.  It would be better for you to ask for details before beginning your "it won't work" litany.
 
In my planning I do lots of research and ask lots of questions.  If I run into problems I am confident I can find a solution.  That's just the way I'm built.
 
Is concrete the only example you can give right off the top?  Bummer.
 
ElfN
 
----- Original Message -----

The concrete was only an example of everything else involved in construction.   I doubt that the idea of building a 2000 sq. ft. house 400 sq. ft. at a time would be considered by any person looking rationally at their time and money,  unless of course you are retired, plan on doing most of it yourself with few workers, and have oodles of time to oversee such a piecemeal project.   Just my opinion.
 
You see to prefer the ancient Roman word for radiant heating, although the Romans would never put the floor on the dirt and I doubt you will be copying their system.   In the modern world radiant heating is usually done through a slab on grade, and even the Romans used concrete.
 
Neal

__._,_.___

Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___