Saturday, July 5, 2008

[papercreters] Re: Water Harvesting and Papercrete

Hi,

Interesting article about rainwater harvesting, but I am not sure how useful it is for
papercreters. Please don't misunderstand me, I have made lots of papercrete from harvested
rainwater, have a batch drying now. My future 200 gallon tow mixer stock tank gets filled
every thunderstorm. In addition, I have a couple other 55 gallon tanks on the shorter
sections of roof. The total is enough to keep me mixing for quite a few days.
Unfortunately, it is the desert, and I used tap water for most of the dry season over the
past few months.

I am not dismissing rainwater harvesting, its important. Also, Brad's a great guy and a
neighbor of mine. As a further plug for him, check out his Rainwater Harvesting for Dry
Lands books, volume I and II at his website:

http://www.harvestingrainwater.com/

Volume III is coming someday. Maybe we can get him to add a section on harvesting
papercrete water!

Unfortunately, rainwater harvesting is not necessarily very helpful for papercreters. After
calculations on my small roof, I figured the best that I could do would be to save enough
water annually for a dozen loads, about enough for one property wall this monsoon season.
That is nowhere near enough for the house I am planning. If I had a huge roof, that might
be different.

The good news is that due to proximity to Brad and other rainwater harvesters, I am
building a water recycling papercrete rig. It is patterned after Eric Patterson's.
Pictures will be forthcoming. I pour my load onto a form rack above a 4x8 foot piece of
corrugated steel roofing and capture the drainage in a kiddie pool at the moment. Soon, I
hope to have a recycling pump, for now, its buckets.

Last week, in the first two 55 gallon drum loads using the new water recycler, I found that
only about 15-20% of the water drains out to be recycled, unless I am making very soupy
papercrete. I have a powerful enough (2 hp electric) mixer that I can make about 35
gallon's worth with only about 5-7 gallons of drainage. The rest evaporates or is combined
with the cement.

When I try to make 50 gallons in my current configuration, I have to add much more water to
get a good vortex. I am sure that's related to a suboptimal blade design. My mixer is an
old salvaged plaster mixer that was designed for a 55 gallon drum. Its blades are small,
and not self-cleaning, nor does it create enough of a vortex for a full load, unless its
very wet. The blade is the next improvement. I might even add a second one midway up the
shaft.

Anyway, I diverge. Is there anyone else out there who is recycling their mix water? What
percentage do you get back?

Thanks,

Vince

----- Original Message -----
From: Curtis Stewart

Here is an article I read on water harvesting in Tucson. This would fit in well with the
use of PC and using mulched paper to control runoff in arid areas.

http://local.theoildrum.com/node/4185#more

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/