Wednesday, July 16, 2008

[papercreters] Re: MGO

Here's the Magnesium Nutrition link again... but in a tiny clickable
form since the Yahoo Gremlins decided to nibble on the tail end of my
first attempt at posting it. DAG NABIT GREMLINS!

http://tinyurl.com/69zgv2

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "slurryguy" <slurryguy@...>
wrote:
>
> Just a clarification.
>
> I don't know if or how much MgO would leach out of papercrete as it
> drains. I was not trying to imply that I knew it would leach out.
> That is a question I was trying to figure out through my reading
and
> research. I have not found anything to give me a hint to what the
> answer might be.
>
> I suspect that at least trace amounts would leach out. It could be
> more than trace amounts too. Whether the actual amount is
> significant enough to affect the performance of papercrete or if it
> is enough to be potentially harmful to the environment is unknown.
> At least it's unknown to me.
>
> There is the possibility that someone could capture and recycle the
> water runoff during production to alleviate most of these concerns
if
> it is found to be a problem.
>
> Another possibility is that paper fibers may be effective at
> filtering the water runoff well enough that very little MgO would
> leach out. I do not know if that would happen or not.
>
> I know that Magnisium is an important nutrient for humans:
>

http://www.feinberg.northwestern.edu/nutrition/factsheets/magnesium.ht
> ml
>
> It's good for you in small amounts, but you can get too much of a
> good thing. The above link lists an upper recommended limit of
> 350mg/day max for adults. TAKEN INTERNALLY.
>
> I'm not sure if MgO is considered similar to the nutrient form of
> Magnesium. They may be completely different substances and act
> differently inside the body. I also don't know how much MgO a
> typical worker might be exposed to while handling the material. I
> don't think many of us go around eating our papercrete, at least
> intentionally, though many of us have had a chunk fly up in the
face
> during mixing. bleaaaaaaaaaaaaah.
>
> The above link does seem to imply that ground Pumpkin seeds might
be
> an interesting papercrete additive to experiment with. They
contain
> a lot of magnesium. Of course, using whole seeds would be a bad
idea
> unless you want Pumpkin vines growing out of your blocks?
>
> So many questions, so few answers, but I'm learning.
>
>
>

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/