Tuesday, July 1, 2008

[papercreters] Judith "Movin on up"

Congratulations on getting the opportunity to move closer to your
children.

I know it must have been a difficult decision with all the effort you
have put into your current construction. It's still better to make
that decision now than wait until you are deeper into construction and
have spent even more money.

I also offer this insight. Almost without exception, everyone's second
project is much better than their first project. You learn SO MUCH on
the first that the second invariably is much better quality, easier to
build, and progresses much more quickly.

Santa Fe is a nice area. I've been there a few times.

I like Charmaine's suggestion about the "papercrete cornerstone". I
can even imagine that cornerstone being incorporated side-by-side with
some new papercrete in a "truth window" kinda like they use in
strawbale construction.

I really enjoyed reading about what Alan Stankevitz did with his
cordwood home at Daycreek.com He had everyone that helped him build
his house sign a log. Toward the end of the wall construction he build
a section of wall and inserted all the signed logs. Many of the logs
were just signed, but others had signatures and some nice artwork.
It's a very nice feature in his home.

Perhaps you might consider asking those that have helped you in Abiquiu
to sign one face one of your old blocks? Then you can have all those
signatures displayed in your new digs? Just an idea.


I suggest that you put the most emphasis on moving the materials and
equipment that are the most expensive. Papercrete does represent a
signicant investment in time, but not a particularly large investment
in money. The timbers and other structural components might have more
value in your new structure than the papercrete because the papercrete
can be more cheaply replaced. With fuel prices being what they are, it
may not make economical sense to move a bunch of papercrete blocks.

I'm guessing that since you are moving closer to family, you'll be able
to have a lot more helping hands working on your next structure, so
making large quantities of papercrete might be a lot easier for you
from now on. I hope that this is the case.

I also think that since you are moving closer to a major city that you
might get the chance to have more papercrete enthusiasts visit you and
help. That would be pretty nice.

Hopefully you'll be able to get a set of plans approved by the
governmment nit-pickers before you even start your next structure. It
will make things so much easier for you.

I wish you the best. I have little doubt that you will make this
transition into a major upgrade in your life.


--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, JUDITH WILLIAMS
<williams_judith@...> wrote:
>
>
> I have listed my property for sale and am thinking of taking down
much of the papercrete house I have built and reusing the blocks in my
new location. Has anyone done this and is it advisable? I would also
leave it up if the buyer would like to continue the project. I'm open
for suggestions. It's sad to give up on a dream but my kids have bought
land in Santa Fe and want me with them so I'm planning on going there,
maybe live in a yurt until I can get a real (papercrete) house up. The
dream is just moving from one location to another and will mean I can
be with family, so it's a great improvement. Thanks
>


------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/