Tuesday, November 4, 2008

RE: [papercreters] Re: Ferro Cement Roofs

All roofs fail at some point in some way.  My concern is in putting the ferrocement skin right on the papercrete.  How do you know when you develop a leak.  Do you put many cheap moisture sensors in your roof?  If you did a sloped roof and left some attic that you could get into to check from time to time that would work also.  Or do you do a double roof with a air gap in between.
 
Don't get me wrong I would love to do this style of roof myself but I don't want to wind up with fully saturated papercrete over my head or the heads of my grandkids.
 
Nick


From: papercreters@yahoogroups.com [mailto:papercreters@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of peddler8111
Sent: Tuesday, November 04, 2008 12:02 AM
To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [papercreters] Re: Ferro Cement Roofs

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "Nick Boersema" <picknick@...> wrote:
>
> I would love for this method to work. My only concern is how would
you know
> if your membrane had failed? When it becomes so heavy it collapses
on you?
>
> Nick
>
> Hi Nick:

The fellow that sen me those picks has built these things in third
world countries and assures me that none has ever failed. I does
sound a bit strange but I see no reason they should ever fail a long
as the frame is stout. There was a post here recently about some
people that simply painted cloth as a temporary roof for the winter in
Virginia and it was still there 7 years later.
Fiberglass screening multi layered and painted with Portland - Latex
is very strong, you can walk on the roofs. As far as becoming heavy it
is as heavy a it will ever be once dry, it is water proof.
I look at these beautiful pictures of papercrete houses in Texas and
Arizona and wonder how would they stay dry in my climate which is far
wetter. The ferro cement roof would kill several birds with one stone,
it would be great protection from heat and allow a flat roof for
storage, water tanks ,rainwater collection , and covered outdoor space.
You could build it by elevating it a few inches above a dome structure
and allowing the chimney effect to ventilate, if it did fail it would
not have far to go. Personally I would not be concerned about the
ferro cement, just build a strong frame.
My fist project is a lumber/bamboo drying shed.

Here are more in depth instructions.
http://www.edc-cu.org/pdf/To%20Build%20a%20Roof.pdf

__._,_.___

Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___