Saturday, December 26, 2015

[papercreters] Re: Papercrete and frost



to my knowledge NO cement/concrete work is done below 40 degrees for the reason Clyde mentions..delamination, spalling, cracking of new work like sidewalks, etc is a total waste of time and materials, money.  


..but with just 10% actual cement powder mixed into paper you COULD try making test batches INSIDE a garage, or other sheltered area.

I live in the wet PacNW…expecting large pours to dry and cure even in 'summer' is iffy and takes too long..so I began making lots of test bricks and "insertable" blocks made in cardboard boxes or self-made forms ( using bakery dry racks, etc)..., and let them start drying in the sun, covered by scrap glass…on a sun warmed driveway, or let them cure inside the big shed.

I did a wet pour between old redwood framing in my big studio…the  back wall was redwood…I tacked thin ply, or burlap/gauze cloth firmly over the studs..then cardboard..just until the wet mix dried up not to bulge out…pull off the cardboard, and the burlap allows drying to keep going. all windows and doors remain open to allow air thru..it still took a month to fully dry out…shrink a bit..more wet mix is  placed in gaps…or I just then used a clay-lime-sawdust plaster over the wall before doing a final coat of lime plaster.

I use a lot of free sawdust with my clay and paper..makes a great working material, not too wet, so not a traditional papercrete..but free, and no chopping/or motor mixer/grinder  needed with sawdust.


__._,_.___

Posted by: charmainertaylor@gmail.com



__,_._,___