Sunday, October 3, 2010

Re: *****SPAM***** [papercreters] Re: Several hundred pound of old books

Hi Sasha

I live on the West Coast of Tasmania, Australia. I am at the foothills to
the main mountain range and the westerly winds sweep across thousands of
mile of open ocean before they blow over us. I have been playing with
paper pulp for many years, but am reasonably new to adding the cement
powder. I originally thought that paper was a biodegradable product, but
over the years have gained a very healthy respect for the durability of
paper. So far I have had paper on wet ground out in the weather waiting
to be used for up to 4 years and no signs of mold or deterioration.

My first full papercrete project is due to be started soon when the
weather dries a little and is to be a new chicken house. This will be a
good project to see how the constant wet will effect the papercrete.

Wayne

> Hi Wayne,
>
> Where do you live that it rains every two weeks in the summer?
>
> I live in a high humidity low temperature climate for 7-8 months and am
> keen to hear more from those not lucky enough to live in the desert.
>
> At this point I am figuring to clad my windward side with metal roofing on
> standoffs to provide an air channel between the cladding and the
> papercrete. But then add latex paint to the finish layer on the dryer
> sides of the house.
>
> I did visit a guy here in BC Canada who had started a PC building 11 years
> ago and then never got to finishing it. So his PC had been sitting outside
> the whole time and it was perfect! Sounded like wood and was not moldy or
> mushy at all. He was using 60% pulped magazines 30% sand and 10% portland
> for monolithic pours and said that even if it was super humid in the
> winter the stuff would "set up" after 28 days.
>
> Has this been your experience as well?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Sasha
> From somewhat rainy (50-60 inch/yr) Hornby Island BC, Canada
> --- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne" <huon@...> wrote:
>>
>> Thank you
>>
>> I leave paper in the tubs all year round. I leave the raw materials in
>> one bath, pulp the paper with a cement mixer and pour it into antother
>> bath where it waits as a ready to use raw material. The baths are both
>> kept full by the rains all year. I live in a cool, damp climate and
>> rain
>> is never more than a few weeks away in the summer. The paper has never
>> gone moldy, although it does ferment a little over the summer.
>>
>> The pulp bath acts as an accumulator. I tip the slurried pulp in one
>> end
>> and by the time it works its way to the other end it has achieved a
>> consistent mix with any excess water flowing over the end of the bath,
>> leaving the pulp behind. I load the mixer and let it mix while I work
>> on
>> other projects around the garden. I mix when I can and use it when the
>> urge arises.
>>
>> My challenge is to find better ways to waterproof my paper products,
>> hence
>> the reason for joining this group to further my research.
>>
>> Wayne
>>
>>
>
>
>


------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/