Friday, October 22, 2010

RE: [papercreters] Plaster anad kiva fireplace



Judy, this is really interesting.  We are looking for a small used wood stove, but haven't found one yet.  So your first post here about the kiva and especially the pictures got me interested and now we're considering it.

Thing is that fireplaces are rather inefficient. I looked around the web a little and found some VERY cool cob ovens (outdoor) and some had a door and I'm thinking that might make it more efficient (less draft). 

I built an horno in 2007 and it works pretty good, but I never thought of using adobe indoors.  The room where is goes is only sheet rocked, not even taped yet and we got the concrete slab.  It would beat "Mr. Heater" by a mile -- today we brought it back in from the garage and anything's better than that propane bottle!

And of course the most expensive part is the triple wall pipe through the attic (crawl space, conventional truss "flat" roof) and the chimney. 

For the chimney I will use an 8" stove pipe and cover it with cob.

Why did you decide on 8" pipe?

We've been looking for pipe on the web and last year Northern Tools had by far the best deal for kits (on sale), but almost everything was 6" and so are most (all?) their stoves. I can only imagine how much more it costs for 8" pipe.

I've sized electric wire and pluming pipes, never thought I'd have to learn about stove pipe sizing. Fortunately there's lots of info on the web, but I greatly appreciate info specific to cob.

And thanks for the pics and sharing!  I can't understand why I never once thought of building a kiva until I saw your posts.

Christine


At 08:24 PM 10/22/2010, you wrote:
 

Thanks Perry (and Spaceman too). The fireplace is cob with a small amount of straw which will burn out. I am forming it around some rabbit wire and will keep adding until it looks right.

For the chimney I will use an 8" stove pipe and cover it with cob. At the part where it goes through the roof I will have to insulate it with pumice.
I hope to have it done this weekend and then I will do another one in the other building.

The Making of Papercrete DVD now available on Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/Making-Papercrete-Judith-Williams/dp/B0040ZNE9A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1283998627&sr=8-1

Follow progress on the new project at http://www.papercretebyjudith.com/blog

More papercrete info at http://squidoo.com/papercretebyjudith



 

To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
From: perryway@gmail.com
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 20:22:37 -0700
Subject: Re: [papercreters] Plaster anad kiva fireplace

 
This is awesome Judith!  I love the look of that fireplace.  Is the upper part cob or clay?  Do you anticipate that this will harden with the heat much like a clay pot?


On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 4:27 PM, JUDITH WILLIAMS < williams_judith@hotmail.com> wrote:
 
[ Attachment(s) from JUDITH WILLIAMS included below]

I tried doing some papercrete plaster today. I made some pulped newspaper and mixed it with clay soil, gypsum and a small amount of perlite. It's just an experimant to see how it works to even out the rough surface of the walls to get ready for finish plaster. It went on OK and looks good, better than the rough walls anyway. I tried using a hawk and a wooden float and managed to get the stuff on with much clumsiness but did better with just my hands. I think it's like so many things that require some practice. I'm open to suggestions and to hearing the experiences of others.
 
I've also managed to build a cute little kiva fireplace. It's not quite done yet but looks good so far. I'm trying to get the place ready for finish plaster before it gets cold.





__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___