Saturday, October 2, 2010

[papercreters] Re: Several hundred pound of old books

Hi Wayne,

Where do you live that it rains every two weeks in the summer?

I live in a high humidity low temperature climate for 7-8 months and am keen to hear more from those not lucky enough to live in the desert.

At this point I am figuring to clad my windward side with metal roofing on standoffs to provide an air channel between the cladding and the papercrete. But then add latex paint to the finish layer on the dryer sides of the house.

I did visit a guy here in BC Canada who had started a PC building 11 years ago and then never got to finishing it. So his PC had been sitting outside the whole time and it was perfect! Sounded like wood and was not moldy or mushy at all. He was using 60% pulped magazines 30% sand and 10% portland for monolithic pours and said that even if it was super humid in the winter the stuff would "set up" after 28 days.

Has this been your experience as well?

Cheers,

Sasha
From somewhat rainy (50-60 inch/yr) Hornby Island BC, Canada
--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne" <huon@...> wrote:
>
> Thank you
>
> I leave paper in the tubs all year round. I leave the raw materials in
> one bath, pulp the paper with a cement mixer and pour it into antother
> bath where it waits as a ready to use raw material. The baths are both
> kept full by the rains all year. I live in a cool, damp climate and rain
> is never more than a few weeks away in the summer. The paper has never
> gone moldy, although it does ferment a little over the summer.
>
> The pulp bath acts as an accumulator. I tip the slurried pulp in one end
> and by the time it works its way to the other end it has achieved a
> consistent mix with any excess water flowing over the end of the bath,
> leaving the pulp behind. I load the mixer and let it mix while I work on
> other projects around the garden. I mix when I can and use it when the
> urge arises.
>
> My challenge is to find better ways to waterproof my paper products, hence
> the reason for joining this group to further my research.
>
> Wayne
>
>


------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/