Thursday, December 10, 2009

Wood ashesRE: [papercreters] Re: Drying Time for Papercrete Blocks



What is the purpose of the wood ashes?

I think papercrete takes a long time to dry no matter what. Here in NM it's very dry all the time and windy. It still takes a while for the papercrete to dry and get firm enough to handle (in the case of blocks).

I have recently started draining the papercrete and think it may shorten up the dry time. Now it's too cold to do anything so it will all have to wait.

Sincerely, Judith

Check out my new Squidoo Lens at http://www.squidoo.com/papercretebyjudith




i'm EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
Join me



To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
From: criswells.ok@sbcglobal.net
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 22:01:14 +0000
Subject: [papercreters] Re: Drying Time for Papercrete Blocks

 

What is your water content? If it takes that long to dry I would suggest using less water, if you are starting with 6 parts paper pulp is it watery? Or have you drain it of all visible water before you add the Portland and sand.
I start with 6 parts drained paper pulp, I then add the 3 parts Portland Cement, I blend this well and sometimes let it set for a while before I add the sand, I have never added wood ashes but was contemplating doing so on my next batch, I think I would keep it at about 2 parts and reduce the sand to 2 parts,  and keeping the cement a 3 parts would work well, but 2 parts cement would also work well, that way I would be back to the 3-2-1 mixture, if you double that mixture you get 6-4-2 and you could get a little stronger mixture with 6-4-3.
I like the looks of your block, are you pressing it or just pouring the mixture into a form.
BTB

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "bencv@..." <bviglietta@...> wrote:

 Good morning. I am pleased to join this group.
 
I am a member of a group which has been experimenting with papercrete for the past year. We are finding that in our area, upstate New York, it takes perhaps eight weeks a cement block sized piece to try to its fully contracted form. A variation which has two holes in it is still taking 5+ weeks. I will upload a picture of it right now.
 
Our recipe has been 6, 3, 3, .5 of newspaper, Portland cement, sand, fireplace ash.
 
My question is whether this is the experience of others? Do we have a bad recipe?
 
Thank you.
 
Ben Viglietta





__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___