Friday, December 18, 2009

Re: [papercreters] foundation question



Thanks, we have very few regs, but will see what happens.

We will do French Drains, but we want to pour our Papercrete walls.
Would drill holes in the forms and a system to capture the water to reuse.
But have no idea how to then make it bond to the foundation.

I suppose now writting we could do two or three layers of PC blocks, then pour the remaining walls.

With me doing most of the work in a remote location I do want to cut down on some steps. Always into labor saving ideas.
Thanks for all the replies, great to have found ya all.
Calle


From: JUDITH WILLIAMS <williams_judith@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 15:18:17 -0700
To: papercreters papercreters<papercreters@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [papercreters] foundation question

 

I did polypropylene bags as my foundation. I dug down 24". I filled the bags with 1 1/2 pumice up to about 8" above grade and did my papercrete walls on top of that.  The pumice was tamped very well and the foundation has stood up fine after 4 years except that the bags depetiorated where they were exposed to the sun, but that took about 3 years to happen. When the inspector came out to shut down my project for lack of a permit he said the only thing he thought would be a problem was the earth bag foundation. I could have gotten a structural engineer to come out and OK it but didn't want to spend the money. As I say the walls are up about 9 feet and are fine on top of the earthbag foundation. It's just that code people don't really understand any of this stuff and don't want to have to learn about anything they don't already know.

If you design an house and apply for a permit you have to have an architect or structural engineer stamp the plans and then get it OK'd by someone at the permit office. If you do this please let us know what happens. I am thinking of following this route myself some day.

Sincerely, Judith

Check out my new Squidoo Lens at http://www.squidoo.com/papercretebyjudith




i'm EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
Join me



To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
From: glenneth@TheFINE-ARTcafe.org
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 17:20:19 +0000
Subject: [papercreters] foundation question

 
I have helped make a foundation for straw bale using first a 18 " deep trench .. that comes up with rock near the ground & then had 3 layers of rock IN burlap bags ( with barbed wire between to retard slippage ) . This allowed for drainage of water ... as the trench was dug like a french drain. I suspect eathen bags might not work or would be problematic for a foundation.

I have NO clue as to code or laws regarding .. this seems to vary per state / county / area.

Good Luck ! Glenneth




__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___