Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Re: [papercreters] Blowing Papercrete like stucco??? Passive Solar Books?



I've done a bit of spraying, with a home made tool. Some people use the Tirolessa sprayer, which is more expensive. I have considered trying a drywall texture tool, but have not yet. My experience indicates that you need a good compressor with a large tank if you want to spray continuously. My compressor with a 30 gallon tank and 7.5cfm head can not keep up, will let me spray for 15-20 minutes and then I have to take a ten minute break and let it recharge. I think 14-16cfm might be enough for continuous work, or another sprayer might be more efficient.

I like spraying onto vertical surfaces, you can build up a couple of inches thick in one session, and it sticks well. Get too thick and it'll all slide to the ground. You can apply directly to stucco mesh without very much blow through. Spraying is not nearly as fast as slip forming, but lets you do more intricate shapes.

Don't know if you've seen my pc house pix, they are not in the group area, are on my website. The dome I'm living in now has a webpage from a previous incarnation. I sold it and then after a couple of years it came back home (long story) so I put it together again and moved into it, now using the big dome as storage/workshop. The small dome has hydronic tubes in the floor, about to be connected to a solar collector and storage tank. Not totally passive, I will use a small solar powered pump. For summer cooling I'm going to try night sky radiation to chill a tank of water. Even without that, it is livable even in the desert 105 degree temperatures.

spaceman

valledecalle wrote:

Greetings All,  Have continued my education via the web, have watched others blowing papercrete like they do stucco.  Have any of you ever tried this?  What is the tool they are using. It is a regular stucco application tool?   We have so much to learn, and so little time to learn it in.  Also are there any newer Passive Solar books out there. The one reference I found on line is a book from the early 90's, great info, but maybe something newer.    Thanks and Happy New Year.  If any of you live in a Papercrete home, have you posted pictures and I just don't know about them?  Calle      ------------------------------------  Yahoo! Groups Links  <*> To visit your group on the web, go to:     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/  <*> Your email settings:     Individual Email | Traditional  <*> To change settings online go to:     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join     (Yahoo! ID required)  <*> To change settings via email:     papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com      papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com  <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:     papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com  <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/   
 
Internal Virus Database is out of date. Checked by AVG - www.avg.com Version: 8.5.430 / Virus Database: 270.14.117/2583 - Release Date: 12/23/09 08:28:00


__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___