Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Re: [papercreters] Re: Papercrete a substitute for Poolcrete???

I have pc that has been sitting in/on the ground as a recessed slab ramp outside my back door since 2001. If I knock on it, it sounds like a stone. When it rains (rarely) it gets wet and a little spongy, then it dries in a couple of days. It has lots of surface area to evaporate water, but if it was under a pool it would not be able to dry out.

The 10" pc slab that is under my 2" concrete slab is sitting on polyethylene film over a deep sand bed and has been drying for a couple of years. I'll probably seal the whole thing before monsoon season when it is at its yearly driest.

The ring under the workshop dome has been sitting on sand for eight years now and the only problem apparent is that the wind has blown sand away from one side so it is no longer underground, and some medium sized furry thing has dug under a wall inside so that about 2' of it is not touching the ground - which is not a problem.

I live in the desert so drainage and  humidity are not concerns.  The eight inches of rain we get is spread out mostly over six weeks in late summer, and things dry out between thunderstorms.

Spaceman


Ernie Phelps wrote:

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "Janoahsh" <janoahsh@...> wrote:   
Yeah, good question.  We know that papercrete wicks, and absorbs  moisture, but is that a problem other than Mold.  In other words,  will papercrete break down with repeated or continuous dampness or  submersion?     
 So far for me, no. =)  I am using it as a substrate for gravel beds and cement molded pathways (quik-crete path molds) and it is holding up just fine as long as I keep the portland content at or above about 25%. I did have some breakdown in the first year with my initial mix that was only 10-15% portland.  I am starting year 3 with PC on the ground. And I still have my first cast sitting outside in my side yard. I go beat it with a hammer once in a while just to make sure it is holding up.  You can look at photos section to see a bit more detail if you like.  - Ernie     ------------------------------------  Yahoo! Groups Links  <*> To visit your group on the web, go to:     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/  <*> Your email settings:     Individual Email | Traditional  <*> To change settings online go to:     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join     (Yahoo! ID required)  <*> To change settings via email:     mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com      mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com  <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:     papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com  <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/      


__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___