Sunday, July 7, 2013

Re: [papercreters] Re: Footings for Papercrete



Huh?
Are you really that soft?
It is not like I would pack dirt into those tires.
She was a perfect dog.
Little kids could pounce on her and yank her hair and all she would do is look at me and whine.
I told the parents of those two kids that if they didn't get the kids off my dog I would tell her she could eat them.
 
Another time in the Winter two about 10 year old boys came here because they wanted to slide on my valley and while one was petting the dog the other one was obviously casing my place to come back that night.
My dog was watching that one and after he was done staring at my stuff he walked toward the dog.
First a low growl then a really scary snarl. I told the kid to stop and to stay away from my dog because the dog hated him. The good kid was still petting the dog. I told them the dog was let out loose to hunt at night.
 
When we were not home I had friends stop here and none of them would even knock on the door because that sweet dog was on the other side of the door.
 
8 1/2 years old and she got a bad cancer and we had to put her down. It was a very sad day.
I buried her deep to keep the coyotes from digging her up and I placed metal panels with rocks all over them on top.
 
Back to the shed.
Digging a 10 X 10 hole eight or nine feet deep here is so easy.
At my mother's place that would be a month long job in her hard clay.
Here a hour of hard work or a very easy afternoon would get it done.
Re-rod down through the tires and wooden braces from the garage that fell down in the middle of each wall.
I will have to do a count of the tires with wheels that are laying around here to come up with a final size.
I know there are 100 of them in one row of stacked up tires behind the back wall of that old garage site.
Alan in Michigan
 
From: JayH <slurryguy@yahoo.com>
To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, July 7, 2013 9:28 AM
Subject: [papercreters] Re: Footings for Papercrete

Sorry to hear about your dog.  Hope he had a long and happy life before his time came.

I'm rarely one to say that something "can't be done." 

I'm more of a person that looks for advantages and disadvantages for doing things in various ways.  I tend to enjoy finding the "best" way.  That might mean the cheapest way, the strongest way, the easiest, fastest, simplest, longest lasting, least maintenance, most energy efficient, or a combination of any/all of the above.  Almost never does anyone accomplish such an optimal goal, and there are almost always many different ways to accomplish the same things.  We each simply try to do the best with what materials and resources we have available and our own personal skill sets.

Maybe I'm getting old, but when I see tires for building... I see a lot of backbreaking work.  Other people see tires, and they see amazing structures.  More power to them.  I'll cheer them on from a distance.  A far enough distance that I won't be asked to swing a sledge, or pound a tamper. 

In an effort to be of some useful assistance on your project, I offer the following suggestion:
http://www.motherearthnews.com/natural-health/homemade-herbal-liniment-zmaz99fmztak.aspx#axzz2YMmd3Gv7

Somebody's probably going to be needing it.  ;)


Please post photos of your project as you build it.


--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, Alan <rustaholic777@...> wrote:
>
> Yes, I do have a lot of tires laying around.
> I agree with your vision of papercrete inside tires.
>  
> I had been considering just a dirt floor with a standard shipping pallet to set the batteries, charge controller and inverter on.
> I guess I will just get to use 24 to 30 tires with wheels on this project.
> I have 16 inches of top soil to remove then eight inches of a heavy clay / sand mix.
> Below that is white beach sand as far as I have ever dug down which is nine feet.
> I was burying a well love dog.
> I want that well draining soil below my tires and the wide print of the tires should keep it stable.
>  
> I just had a picture pop into my head.
> If I remove all of that soil from the whole shed area then stack in the tires and cut down a couple of my huge 250 pound pallets they could be the floor. Just keep them to the inside of the tires and the papercrete walls would be outside the floor pallet right on top of the tires. Throw a couple pieces of OSB down on the pallets and I would have a great floor.
>  
> If I got really wild I could stack 120 tires down there and have a basement under the shed.
> That would fill with water and drain away in that sand,,,,,
> hum,,,,,,,,, maybe seal the basement tire walls with some of those pieces of heavy duty banner fabric I have,,,,,, I could tuck the top of the fabric into the papercrete walls about four inches,,,,,
> The heavy clay / sand soil that I would remove I could put on top around the shed to encourage water to run away from the building.
> This might be worth doing just to have a better place to put so many tires.
> A trap door in the floor would let me check things out down there.
>  
> I am well known for doing things others feel can't be done.
> Alan in Michigan

>




------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
    papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/




__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___