Thursday, July 18, 2013

[papercreters] Getting free paper. The collector's encyclopedia.

First, let me start by apologizing. I know it. This topic has been discussed before. Several times we have talked about it.

In spite of that fact, I think there are still lessons to be learned.


Any time I see a thread on papercreters discussing using cellulose insulation in papercrete, I always end up asking myself, "Why? Paper is everywhere. Why would someone pay for a raw material that they can get for free?" Whenever this question pops into my head, I end up with the same 2 answers.

A1. Someone doesn't have a papercrete mixer that is capable of chopping up used paper, and is intimidated, or otherwise restricted, at the prospect of building a papercrete mixer, so they resort to purchasing cellulose insulation instead.

A2. Can't find free paper.


Each person needs to do what is best for their own situation, but I find both answers to be lacking.



So, once again, I think it is appropriate to discuss how, where, when to find free paper (and cardboard.) I invite all of our long time members who have gone down this path before to bear with me, and even to suck it up and contribute to this topic another time.


This time, I want to break this topic up into several categories that I see as important in the paper gathering process.

SOURCES OF PAPER
These are places where people should be encouraged to search for free paper (and cardboard).

METHODS OF COLLECTION
This focuses on tips and tricks of the trade. Not so much where to get the paper, but how. Please discuss the techniques you use that make the process easier, less time consuming, and limit the travel/hauling distances required to collet the paper and transport it to your construction site.


I really would like everyone to contribute in creating a thread that contains every idea for a place to get paper, and every easy method to get the paper where it is needed with minimal effort and minimal cost. I also suggest that our long time members bookmark this thread from the Papercreters message archive, and refer back to it in the future. Every time someone mentions a new source of paper, or a neat trick that makes the collection process easier, quicker, less expensive, or better in any other way, to add it to this thread.

The goal is for this thread to become the authoritative comprehensive how-to reference source for getting free paper. Have every conceivable idea get added to this thread. Even several years from now, if a new idea gets mentioned in another thread, I hope someone will post another new reply to this thread and keep adding to it. At the same time, any time someone asks about finding paper, which is a frequently asked question, it would be great to simply refer them to this forever expanding thread that hopefully will contain just about everything there is to know about collecting paper.

Just a note... I will reply with my own thoughts on this topic later, but I prefer to give everyone else first crack at it.


So, ladies and gents. Dump your paper here.

Your paper collection ideas and suggestions, that is.

Think of this thread as one big giant blue recycling box just for paper collecting ideas.

What works for you? Where are the best places you have found paper/cardboard? Lets get all these answers in one easy to find location.







------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/