Tuesday, July 16, 2013

[papercreters] Re: Tom Curry, one of our members, makes the News. He's building a Nubi

Dang Tom, that stinks.
(The breaking of your foot, that is. I'm not saying that your feet stink. I just thought I'd make that perfectly clear. I wouldn't want someone to get the wrong idea.)

Falls are the most frequent cause of injuries on a construction site.

Quotation follows:=============================
Construction's "Fatal Four"

Out of 4,188* worker fatalities in private industry in calendar year 2011, 738 or 17.6% were in construction. The leading causes of worker deaths on construction sites were falls, followed by electrocution, struck by object, and caught-in/between. These "Fatal Four" were responsible for nearly three out of five (56%) construction worker deaths in 2011*, BLS reports. Eliminating the Fatal Four would save 419 workers' lives in America every year.

Falls – 259 out of 738 total deaths in construction in CY 2011 (35%)
Electrocutions – 69 (9%)
Struck by Object – 73 (10%)
Caught-in/between – 18 (2%)"
================================================
Source:
https://www.osha.gov/oshstats/commonstats.html


I doubt if that will help you feel any better, Tom, but perhaps it can serve as a reminder to all of us that falls are the biggest danger we tend to encounter.

Hmmm.... if those statistics won't help Tom feel better, perhaps I can help Tom feel better by telling him about my broken foot?

I broke my foot a while back Kung Fu kicking a home invader across his jaw, at least that's the story I would start telling everyone. Then I'd mention that I might have been barefoot carrying a jumbo sized box of Laundry Detergent and the wimpy plastic handle broke and a corner of the full box landed directly on my bare foot snapping the third metatarsal. I let the listener decide which story to believe. I'm not sure which version is less believable. Kung Fu kicking a home invader, or that a guy would actually admit to doing laundry? Eh... who's going to believe either story that comes from a guy that constantly sticks his foot in his mouth?

In any case, I encourage you to be nice to your other foot, Tom. It's very easy to injure it hopping around. I know this from experience. When you injure the other foot, IT STINKS EVEN WORSE. (Metaphorically once again, not Olfactorily. Well... sometimes when a body part is in a cast, the inside of the cast can get stinky, but that's not what I'm talking about either.)

However, now that I've managed to bring up the subject of stinky casts... This is a perfect opporunity to refer everyone to this video. A great way to put some power tools to use. I bet it would even work on a broken foot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CObfZ85z8sc

Well, now that I've gone way too far down that path of attempted humorous distraction in a rather lame attempt to help an ailing Papercreter feel better... on to more papercrete related discussion.


Yes, Tom, I found that article about your project via a google search. I tend to search periodically for items of interest, and that article came up.

I'll be very interested to learn from your experience. I'd love to know how everything went. What you thought worked well, what you might do differently, etc...

I really look forward to the photos.

I say take the lemons and make lemonade. Enjoy the time off, and perhaps some of that time off can be spent sitting at your computer answering questions and "stamping" your authority on the topic of papercrete vault building. (Too soon for the "stamping" reference?)

Get well soon, Tom.


--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, Tom Curry <tomcurrystudio@...> wrote:
>
> No problem Jay, only I fell off the scaffolding and am laid up now with a
> broken foot. We have the Nubian vault done and are just down to the
> plastering part which will have to be put on hold now. But will send
> pictures of the project later.
> Wow, don't know how you got this story from such a small town newspaper but
> guess the power of the net is far reaching.
> We learned a lot from this papercrete project which I'll share along with
> some pictures. Right now it looks like convalescing time.
>
> The Humbolt U. study on straw bale vs.papercrete was most interesting.
>




------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/